"LSD" ?

JDM_TypeR

what exactly is "LSD" ? i know that it means like "Limited-Slip" something... right? well yea, im guessing that it imporves performance. do B18B1's ( LS) have LSD or can you just put it? or is it for VTEC engines?

DownShift96GSR

LSD means Limited Slip Differential. Its for your transmission. What it does is make sure both wheels are getting power when you pop the clutch for better traction reasons. I think LS's have them but I'm not sure. My friend has a G2 LS and he said he has one and was telling me not to get one because they grab too much with the right tires. You want traction. He's got Z rated tires on his car with just and intake and exhaust. He grabs too much cuz he doesn't have enough power to spin his wheels. When it comes to drag racing at the track, it will give you better reaction time and better 60 time.

Red@8

I am not sure if this holds true for the USDM but in Canada only the type r came with an LSD but they type r tranny which is what has the lsd can be bolted to any b series motor as far as i know. I am not sure why your friend would tell you not to get one it is great for racing (hence std. on type r)

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Only Type Rs came with LSD in the US. In Japan, some Gen 2 B16 trannies came with LSD. No LS ever came with it from the factory, though you can easily swap in the differential.

stock open differentials apply power to the wheel that is easiest to turn, or the wheel that has less traction. a limited slip differential applys power to the wheel that is harder to turn, or the wheel that has more traction.

there are several types of limited slip differentials (helical, mechanical) i cant really remember what the differences of them all are, but i do know you dont want the kind that locks the front wheels together 90% of the time, its a drag only diff, and if you drive it on the street and take a turn, all youll hear is your inside tire sliding across the ground. Helicals are good enough for most peoples cars. if you are planning on running lots of power, get a Quaiffe

Baldy201

^^^^ what he said. LSD's are great things. you can feel the diffrence just driving around town. This info is based on what other people said. I have never drove a car with a LSD but i did ride in one. It was pretty sweet.

DownShift96GSR

I'm gonna pick me up an LSD soon, one from a ITR. I don't know if my friends car came with the LSD or if he swapped his tranny or bought the LSD. All he said was don't get one and I just kinda looked at him. I personally think he's trying to keep me from being faster than him cuz he's gonna drop a B16 into his G2. He was asking me the other day if I could beat Civic Si's or B16 Del Sols.

Todd

token ex-mod
you're names JDM typer... and you dont know what an lsd is or does...... damn poser.....

hyper98gsr

Todd said:
you're names JDM typer... and you dont know what an lsd is or does...... damn poser.....
anyone can have any name they want. please dont turn this into a bashing site.

as for the lsd...it will definately improve your 1/4mile times and even everyday driving comfort. if you do decide to get one, i recommend the gsr tranny with the lsd and jdm itr final drive.

Todd

token ex-mod
i dislike posers and i have no problem saying so

here's a little info on lsd percentages
The limited slip percentage (S) is also called the locking factor.
It describes the maximum applied torque difference between rear wheels
compared with total applied torque. Passenger car LSDs are usually
in the 25-40% locking factor range. Most BMW LSDs are 25%.

Limited Slip Locking Factor or Percentage S
(note: drive torque is torque applied to road surface)

Drive Torque Difference Between Rear Wheels
S = ------------------------------------------- x 100%
Total Drive Torque of Both Rear Wheels

Think of a situation where the two rear wheels are on
different surfaces with different coefficients of friction:

H = Higher traction, more torque can be applied to road surface
L = Lower traction, less torque can be applied to road surface

H - L
S = ------- x 100 %
H + L

By rearranging the equation a little, you see that for a 25% LSD,
the High torque side can be as much as 62.5% of the total while the
Low torque side can be as little as 37.5% of the total.

25% LSD Example:

S + 1 0.25 + 1
H = ------- = -------- = 0.625
2 2

-S + 1 -0.25 + 1
L = ------- = -------- = 0.375
2 2

The H/L ratio, called the bias ratio, is easier for me to think about
because it quickly shows how much more torque can be sent to the high
side. With a 25% limited slip, it is possible to have 1.67 times as
much torque applied to the high side. A 40% LSD works out to a 2.33
bias ratio.

25% LSD Example:

H S + 1 0.25 + 1
--- = ------- = -------- = 1.67 (Bias Ratio)
L -S + 1 -0.25 + 1

A locked differential has a 100% locking factor (infinite bias
ratio) because all torque can be applied to one wheel (e.g. one
wheel on ice or in the air). For a limited slip, the initial
preload, or break-away torque, allows power application when one
drive wheel is on ice or in the air. Open differentials are
another story

In theory, an open differential has 0% locking factor (1.00 bias
ratio) because the torque to each wheel is balanced (H = L). In
actual practice, there is some bias because the differential is
not friction free.

hyper98gsr

do you understand any of that "cut and paste?" who asked anything about lsd percentages? also, how does that explain what an lsd is to someone who knows nothing about one? without further confusing them.

him using the name of the vehicle he likes as a screen name dosn't make him a poser, but....you QUOTING an article you most likely no nothng about does.

ps. what percentage of that article deals with FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cars? 0%

Todd

token ex-mod
i never once reflected those as my words, him using that name is a direct example of posing, and an explenation of the lsd has already been given

the cut/paste was taken from a bmw site so it is referred to as rwd for obvious reasons... also BMW shows many times.. the same applies to fwd cars...... and it's information that will better help to understand the workings of an LSD...

if all he wanted was a simple explanation of an lsd then he shoulda :google:'d it and not wasted a thread
anything else son?

JDM_TypeR

Todd said:
i never once reflected those as my words, him using that name is a direct example of posing, and an explenation of the lsd has already been given

the cut/paste was taken from a bmw site so it is referred to as rwd for obvious reasons... also BMW shows many times.. the same applies to fwd cars...... and it's information that will better help to understand the workings of an LSD...

if all he wanted was a simple explanation of an lsd then he shoulda :google:'d it and not wasted a thread
anything else son?

thx for the help. i understand what the LSD is and what it does, thx for the help.

DownShift96GSR

Todd said:
i never once reflected those as my words, him using that name is a direct example of posing, and an explenation of the lsd has already been given.
Todd you need to slow your role there, bud. Hyper has a point. Even though you say you were using it as an example of posing, to me it came accross as a bashing statement. This site is for information gathering, sharing, etc... Not for you to come over and act all high and mighty and start trouble. On the other hand your post on percentages was very informative and i'm sure more than just JDM_TypeR are taking thanks for that information. I thank you for it, even though all I see is a bunch of equations that I don't know how to use or even what they mean. Basically, there's no need to make any comment on someone's name. Everyone has been told this when they were growing up and I use it till this day. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Yeah its cool to give each other crap here and there in a joking matter. I'm sure people will agree that we are trying to keep a positive feeling on this site, not a negative one. And we all want to have fun and I know everyone here can joke around, but don't be rude about it.

Todd

token ex-mod
well obviously the supposed "bash" victim doesnt have a problem with it, so why should you or other people for that matter?... so why re-hash drama mang?

and nothing on this site needs to be slowed down... including my "role"... on the other hand, other people need to knock it up a notch

Last edited: