Mechanic a rip off?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Sorry if my post was unclear, I meant that purely for a timing belt..I've never had a timing belt replaces without a mechanic doing water pump etc as well. The last timing belt I had done by a local shop cost 250 or so including pump etc. The time before that on a different car from another shop was around the same price.

Rich-PMS

700 on a Honda is pretty high.

But on the topic of high priced timing belt job- the 300zx is about 1400$ parts/labor :)

Prozon

Kris
I assume a lot of that is labor? Lol.

I changed a water pump on a Mitsubishi Eclipse (It wasn't changed when timing belt was done.) It's such a P.I.T.A. to do.. the engine mount had to be unbolted, and the engine had to be raised and lowered several several times.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Yeah that doesnt sound right at all.
I never take my stuff to normal 'oilchange' mechanics, i either do it my self or take it o a local performance shop.

krisx13

Schweet.
i just got my timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket and oil seals all done this past week for $450. All parts are from Honda too

sylvaner01

Well all I know is my car has to be in the garage for 2 days, I take it thats heaps of labour... I have driven past the shop several times to check out if they are actually working on it and it seems like they are actually working on my car which is good. All i know is that my car better run $700 times better XD

Completely random question, any1 know how I can attatch a fishing rod to the roof of my car?

Dtackett

Timing belt jobs are always $400+

I agree that the extra charge is high because:
A. You have all of the accessory belts off, and there is no extra labor putting new ones on (belts are $10-$15 each, then factor in maybe $5 on top that the shop may charge per belt).
B. The water pump should be factored in already into the timing belt job, as so should the tensioner. A timing belt job is not complete without replacing each of these components.
C. I dont know what your mechanic means by all of the seals, but the only ones that should be replaced are the valve cover gasket and tube seals. Nothing else should need to be changed.

So if you were to look at it, about $80 extra for the seals and belts, with no extra labor because everything has to be put back together to be put back on. Water pump is accessible because the belt is off, as well as the tensioner (and should have been included in the initial price), so I dont see why your mech. would decide to charge $300 extra. $120 at the most...
Head gasket would need replaced if its been mire then 100k miles sense last time it was checked

Prozon

Kris
What do you need the head gasket would need replaced if it's been over 100k? You don't replace head gaskets as a routine maintience.

WDEDMON1

True. If the compression is good then you dont need it. Speaking of: is there a way to do a home compression test? Is this the same as a leak down test? How do ya do it? thanx

Prozon

Kris
Compression tests are easier than leak down tests lol. Go buy the gauge. (It's basically a pressure gauge, attached to a hose, that threads into a spark plug hole.) It's not expensive.

Then just remove spark plug, thread in the compression tester and crank the car. I believe to do it right there's a fuse you pull so your not pumping a bunch of fuel into your engine. (Fuel pump, ECU)