Multi-Layered Steel Head Gaskets?

j13

Keep It Clean
Hey guys, I'm getting compression and emission in my cooling system, HG is finished. I got a Head Gasket set that comes with everything and many extras to do the complete job. My plan was to get a kit and use everything BUT the HG and just pick up a Victor Reinz or Fel-Pro Mr. gasket something with more good reviews and known. The head gasket I got in my kit is an ALL STEEL *_* gasket it has three layers but looks top notch.. but I've never seen an all steel HG before, usually they're made out of a soft material with aluminum or copper rings around the cylinders, I've used before (Toyota engine).

Well to make things a bit weird, all HGs from Mr. gasket, felpro, Victor are ALL the same exact MLS Multi-Layer Steel and exactly the same as my HG in the kit. should I trust this thing? I really like the ones with the crush rings around the cylinders.. who has used these MLS headgaskets? should I just spray some copper head gasket sealer on it and call it a day? or find an old style traditional head gasket?

Last edited:

enoch723

dont ever use a copper sealer or any of head gasket fix sealers or any of that stuff. They may work but in the long run they will stick in places they arent needed.

But I have always gone with layered steel hg. Tried the copper before and it didnt last very long for me, it ended up blowing within a few days. I think its just about the engine. You say you used copper cylender line in toyota's, which I think have a lot lower compression then integras. Im not sure though.

Might as well save your money an just use what you got

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Honda's use MLS gaskets. Use what you have, itll be fine.
FYI Fel Pro makes a gasket kit with the head gasket if you care about brand.
Honestly if you care about the quality then OEM is the only way to go.

j13

Keep It Clean
dont ever use a copper sealer or any of head gasket fix sealers or any of that stuff. They may work but in the long run they will stick in places they arent needed.

But I have always gone with layered steel hg. Tried the copper before and it didnt last very long for me, it ended up blowing within a few days. I think its just about the engine. You say you used copper cylender line in toyota's, which I think have a lot lower compression then integras. Im not sure though.

Might as well save your money an just use what you got
No, I'm not talking about liquid gasket or a coolant additive to fix a HG, I'm talking and a special spray that goes onto the HG to give a better seal. thanks for your opinion!

Honda's use MLS gaskets. Use what you have, itll be fine.
FYI Fel Pro makes a gasket kit with the head gasket if you care about brand.
Honestly if you care about the quality then OEM is the only way to go.
didn't know they used MLS head gaskets.. that makes me feel a little better. getting the fel-pro set would've been a cheaper route then buying both items (generic machine shop kit and fel pro single gasket )

I've been reading more about mls gaskets and I'm going to use it. thanks guys