Murphy's 99 Coupe

Nick_C78

Quick question, did you paint the valve cover in 3 steps? First coat ypu spray horizontal, next coat vertical and last coat you do diagnal. Justing by your wrinkle pattern you are just spraying randomly.

Also, don't use primer under wrinkle paint. Not sure if you did but it makes it not bond correctly.

Sorry for the criticism. Just wanna help you out for cleaner results.

Murphy

Meat Master
I did use high heat primer as it said on the can. The paint on the valve cover has held up for 6 months or so very well. Every other time I used ceramic paint I would eventually chip the paint off with my tools. This wrinkle paint it so durable I actually tore my knuckles up installing the intake.

It was very straightforward to do those three paint strokes on the valve cover, not so much on the intake. I did the three strokes on the intake, but had to do a lot of touch up painting after a day's drying. I used THICK coats of paint and cured each in the oven so they're pretty wrinkly.

As for the intake tube I'm leaving it polished. I haven't really thought of anything else aesthetic I'd like to do under the engine bay, maybe a strut bar.

Murphy

Meat Master
Everyone has their own painting style. This wrinkle paint is pretty difficult to finesse especially on non flat surfaces. What has the greatest effect on how the paint wrinkles is probably how thick the coats are and how they're layered. It takes a lot of practice to get it even I'm sure.

Nick_C78

I wasn't trying to be a dick. But I just think you are doing something to cause it to do that.

As long as you are happy with it.

Murphy

Meat Master
So a lot of shit happened to my car over the past two months.

First the lower balljoint failed, fortunately I wasn't on the highway.

I spent around a grand on parts and tools replacing my entire front suspension (driver and passenger sides) other than the shocks. Moog lca's, balljoint, and outer tierod, Timken wheel bearings, wheel bearing kit, Blox sway bar end links, prothane sway bar bushings, upper control arms, and drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads and brake hardware, and a used LS mesh rim. Of course I had to pay for an alignment and tire swap.

Plastidiped the rim.

Then not even two full days after I drive the car I get a CEL. Run my scanner and its a misfire on cylinder 2. So I check the dizzy its good, then I pull the plugs. As I try to unscrew the plugs they very difficult to loosen and it feels like they've been cross threaded. It turned out that I put way too much anti seize on the threads and it got into the combustion chamber. So I fill her with brakleen and let her puke her guts. No more CEL.

Two days after I m driving home and hear a long ping and rattle under my car the my drivers side brake starts squeaking. I jack the car up and find I only hand tightened the caliper bracket, replaced the bolt.

Then I tackle the rear brakes and rotors. Take everything off and try and compress the caliper piston and it's completely seized. So I spent $150 on remanufactured calipers, put them on and bled the brakes.

I'm so pissed at this car I'm weaning myself off it by saving up for a Honda CB500f.

rivman05

Cool thread nice job so far. Id agree, its old and need some tlc. . Everytime my family picks up a car (1950-1971) its, belts, hoses, shoes/rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders, springs, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, timing chain and gear kit, rebuild the carb, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil, remove pvc valve for a breather.

Murphy

Meat Master
I've owned it for 7 years and everything is failing at once and right after I fix it something else breaks. I forgot to add I broke off the door handle on early morning when it was below freezing.

The engine sounds like shit and its sluggish and gets poor gas mileage. I suspect it's due to a burnt valve since the engine is so chattery. It's only a matter of time before she's toast. Can't wait until I have the money for that motorbike.

Dr Grant

"I forgot to add I broke off the door handle on early morning when it was below freezing"

I almost did that numerous times but I realized it wasn't gonna happen, so I have to open the hatch and crawl to the front and open the doors from the inside lol it's a humiliating feeling but better than busting the handle

Murphy

Meat Master
It's rough lol. I used boiling water on the door seams after than then on.

The damn windscreen has a grapefruit sized fracture on the lower right corner, all of the trim around the windscreen has corroded and I've filled it in with silicon. There's a rusted out hole in the trunk that I cleaned and filled by squeezing two tin plates between and and filling it with silicon. The exhaust doesn't fit right and has already rusted.

I swore for 7 years that Id never sell this car, but it's just humiliating and feels like a ticking time bomb to drive.

Murphy

Meat Master
So the misfire came back, did a chemical test on the oil and sure enough oil and coolant are mixing. Blown head gasket.

So I'm selling the car and getting an 81-85 Mercedes 300 turbo diesel

SoundEfx

Damn.

Wait, you're selling a 'cheap to fix' integra for an 'almost impossible to find parts for' merc?

Good luck with that one pimp.

Murphy

Meat Master
There were over 2.6million of those Mercedes made, there are plenty of parts oe and aftermarket lol.

I've fallen out of love with the Integra. It was perfect growing up with and for college. I work 6 days a week, 50+ hours, I don't want to spend what little time off I get replacing a head gasket.

Plus, any money I spend on the Integra does little to nothing to add to its value. The more I restore a w123 Mercedes, the more valuable it becomes. I'm planning on buying a blue one with a blue leather interior tomorrow, I'll post pictures.