My speakers are crying tears, what?

Boxy

So as you guys probably know the Northeast and basically the rest of the country has been pretty screwed up weather-wise recently, and here in VT it's been raining hard for like 3 weeks, and pretty much everyday continuously the past 3 days.

ANYWAYS, to the point: Somehow there's water getting through my passenger side read speaker. I have pictures since I know you guys all love pictures. I don't know where the hell it's coming from, or what to do about it! I pulled my mom's Kia out of the garage and told her it could stand a few days of rain, I didn't want anymore water coming through.

Water getting down the panel and onto the metal frame beneath the seats, hopefully it won't rust, right?

So anyone got any ideas where it's coming from? There are no holes or rust at all on my shell, so it can't be from that. It's gotta be leaking in somewhere though! I also checked the hatch and it's completely dry, so wtf?

I did locate where the water was coming in through, it was just not a place where it was possible to sneak in a photo. It's up top near the front of the speaker hold, and it drips down like 1 drop every 3 seconds.

I also noticed that my passenger side tail light has a ton of moisture inside, is it possible that the water snuck through the seals in the tailight and made it through the chasis down into the speaker? It could be from the wire terminals, right? Idk I'm new to this, help please!

BeatBox

Real Good!
maybe from the headliner? do you have a sunroof? the drain tube goes along both sides of the headliner

Boxy

I just went and checked and the seal seems to be fine. I'm gonna open up the passenger side panel in the trunk to re-seal my tail light on Saturday so I guess I'll check more indepth then. For now it's in my nice dry garage :p

If anyone has any other ideas or has had this happen before I'd love to know what to do haha, and thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!

72Spitfire

Check the window seal. Take a water hose and soak it and see if new water shows up. if not, moon roof seal perhaps?

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
Maybe it's crying because it's sad...? :(

On a more serious note, you might have leaked water from rain from the weather. Check what everyone mentioned earlier, because I couldn't have said it better myself.

goofygamer

It's definitely not because of your taillights. Also, you don't have to remove your rear side panel to remove your taillight, only the long panel that's between your two rear side panels, but it would be a good idea for you to reseal those lights as you dont want any fogging issues later down the road.

WAR 178

Premium User
Seals near the window, door, and rear hatch should be looked at and cleaned. There is NO way the tails would cause the speakers to cry like that!
In regards to the moisture and water in rear hatch from taill lights...take both out(tail lights) and flip/switch the gaskets if they arent torn up. Put your tails back in snug (not nec. to take out the panels, but I like to doing so b/c it makes everything easier and you can get an idea whats leaking by looking for water lines or rust forming anywhere. Its also very easy to take all the panels off in the rear)
G/L

Boxy

So I took out my tail lights, and as everyone else mentioned it definitely wasn't from the tail lights. Although my passenger side tail did have a quart of water in it ahah. I blow dryed it, and did the other side just for good measure. They're both currently upside down drying in my garage to get rid of any left moisture. Gonna silicon that baby up tomorrow.

Anyways I checked all the seals, and they seem to be fine! I don't understand where this water is coming from. It can't be condensation 'cause there's too much for it to be that, and all the seals look good.

Any other ideas guys? D: Maybe I checked the seals wrong? Idk they looked good to me!

Boxy

Nah the passenger side gasket is like ripped up, I don't even understand how that could happen.

Also I'mma take my precious to pressure wash her tomorrow. I'll find out where the waters coming in through using some good ol' trial and error. But anyone got any suggestions on what to wash my car with? Specifically what to do after the initial soap and rinse. Turtle wax?