My steering wheel is all sticky

OfficeLinebacke

So my nused integra has a steering wheel that's all gooey and sticky. I tried cleaning it and rubbing it down with Aerospace 303 protectant. No dice. Also got it detailed and the guy said he thought he could do something with it and no dice.

I bought a steering wheel cover at Wal-Mart that said it fits "most" steering wheels from 14.5 to 15.5 inches diameter but it didn't fit.

At the time I was on my phone and I could have sworn I saw a forum post that said a 3rd gen teggie has a 15 inch steering wheel.

I know steering wheel covers are a b1T&L to put on but I know this was just too small for my wheel.

I'm actually considering using handlebar tape for a bicycle to try doing a wrap

So what have you guys done with a sticky steering wheel?

MurderousPandas

Try goo gone or something, that might do it. Or some(which means a lot) of hand sanitizer. You might be better off using that hand sanitizer for sure actually, i don't know nor do i want to know what made that steering wheel sticky.

Ganyon

Its sticky because of age. Mine is like that, and another integra I looked at was lije that. Only way to fix is with a cover or new wheel.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i bought a new wheel

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

not anther cody

Is it a leather wheel? Mine was sticky and didn't have a texture to it what so ever when I bought my car. I spent a while (like almost 3 hours) cleaning it. I used a leather cleaner in a tan bottle, but I cant remember what the name of it was. It took a while but it ended up coming clean, it just took forever. Same thing for my current truck but I used a meguiers cleaner.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I replaced my original 97 wheel with a newer one. So much better. Paid $75 shipped for one in excellent condition.

MurderousPandas

I was thinking of putting in a racing wheel with a release because my alarm sucks and if you tried jacking a car without a steering wheel, well... you're kinda fucked. The only downside is there is no driver side airbag and i have no idea how to put one in yet.

OfficeLinebacke

My solution ended up being a soapy rag.

At first I tried this Fantastik grease and grime remover and it actually made it worse.

I had read on another forum that dish soap and water on a towel works, so I tried that.

Worked like a charm!

Sometimes it's the simplest solution that works.

randomhobo

automagic user
Is it a leather wheel? Mine was sticky and didn't have a texture to it what so ever when I bought my car. I spent a while (like almost 3 hours) cleaning it. I used a leather cleaner in a tan bottle, but I cant remember what the name of it was. It took a while but it ended up coming clean, it just took forever. Same thing for my current truck but I used a meguiers cleaner.
Blue Magic leather cleaner, i sell it all the time at work, Its great stuff.

The Panch

The Homie
I used a cheap cover from using my autozone points lol. covers up those nasty, sticky, flaking wheels. lol

MurderousPandas

I used a cheap cover from using my autozone points lol. covers up those nasty, sticky, flaking wheels. lol
Off topic, but now that Autozone has been brought up, how do you earn points? I heard it was different for certain areas. My area has it that for every purchase above $20 you get a point. So, if you spent $3000 in one purchase, it's one point. And you can only earn one point a day.

The Panch

The Homie
yup thats correct. exactly correct.

and 5 points is $20 free credit to you.

I think I'v reached 5 points like....5 times maybe? IF i need two parts but itl take more than a day to do the job. I'll buy the parts on seperate days to get 2 points =]