N/A or boost?

N/A or boost?

• Total voters

GSROWNSU

TegSox said:
It took me a lot of time and thinking to come up with a desicion on wether to go boost or NA. There's a lot of positives and minuses to going each route.

I decided for myself to go NA because:
-I don't have a lot of money, and to install a turbo requires thousands of dollars up front. But with NA, I can do it in stages and have time to save up in between each stage. Also, seeing the improvement with each completed step is a really great feeling, its a real feeling of accomplishment to see your effort rewarded.
-I have a GSR, which lends itself towards an NA build more readily than towards boost. Of course, it's fine to boost a B18C1. It has a better flowing head than an B18B, and to any competent tuner the higher compression is no problem to deal with. But the DOHC VTEC system is a great platform to build on for an NA setup. If I had an LS, there's no question I would be boosted today.
-I like the respect factor that comes with a strong NA build.
-I'm only a few hunderd feet above sea level, and of course the closer to sea level the thicker the air is therefore an NA engine will respond to mods better than thousands of feet up. When I took my Teg on a trip to Arizona, I could DEFINITLEY feel my car struggling when I was up around 6,000 feet in Flagstaff. So elevations not an issue for me.
I completely agree with you. You can do it in stages and feel a difference over time and you can spend money over time. And also like you said the respect for having a n/a 4cyl that's fast as hell is nice too

CLspec

CaliLifeSpec
N/A motors...are more reliable then a turbocharged motor..but wit a n/a motor u can rev to redline n still be able to drive witout worries. its more enjoyable to whoop a turbocharged car...wit an N/A...if a turbo beats an N/A its no big deal..cause their suppost to...

ltrain

i say vortech or jr supercharger with a bov mmmmmmm thats my choice

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I think I might cancel my turbo plans. Would like to have a reliable car.

There will be a 2nd teg that will be turbo'd and swapped. It has to be a 2nd gen.

Baldy201

I was totally for NA before then I had a taste for more HP and to go fast. Since I have a LS it is great for boost. So I am building a B18b block to 85mm at 9.5:1 compression sleeved. That is part 1 next summer comes the turbo kit. so we will see how much boost i can do with that and how much HP I can get out of it for a pretty good price. hehe