n00b (on this forum anyways) with compression issue

CaliBoy

Hey guys, noob to your forum. But i just recently purchased a 99 Integra LS from an auto auction and i think it has a valve problem. Car has 130k miles on it and is very very clean otherwise. Right now the car is misfiring like a mofo, popping, shaking, skipping, the whole nine yards. I replaced the spark plugs but that didnt not fix the problem. I pulled the spark plug wires out one at a time while the car was running and all but one made a huge difference when i unplugged them. #2 did not make any difference. So today i did a pressure test. #1 150psi #2 0psi #3 150psi #4 150 psi. So it seems like #2 has no compression. From what i read online it seems i may have broken rings? There is no water in the oil and no oil in the water. That tells me the head gasket is fine. Any pointers? I do have tools at disposal so i can to further testing but not sure what to test. I also put some oil in the cylinder and redid the test, still at 0 compression. What do you guys think? bent valve?

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
Didi you check the timing maybe it jumped a tooth, and at 130k belt is probably stretched is never replaced

CaliBoy

i have been trying to find a DIY on the Valves job but cant find one...anyone seen one? I wonder if i can change the valve..

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
check if timing marks are lined up trust me maybe someone did it wrong, trouble shooting sucks

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
would that cause the cylinder to have no pressure at all?

*compression
it would because the valves would open at the wrong time, but it might not be the problem, just making sure you dont go and spend cash when it could be something dumb, also re check firing order on the distributor, just run down the list of possible reasons for misfire, dont run off and start buying things

CaliBoy

OK, let me see if there is a DIY on timing inspection... thats why i turn to the forum to avoid the parts canon.

CaliBoy

well, i am gona start working on removing the head today. any hints/pointers please dont hesitate to send them my way. i also couldnt find a DIY on it. if you seen one somewhere please post a link, it would really really help as this is my first time.

CaliBoy

So Basically I removed the valve cover but did not see anything wrong.

Looking at the timing belt, still do not see anything wrong...

The belt does not looked cracked or loose.

Looking at the timing, as you guys see both “UP”s are at 12 noon (straight up)

Here is another view, again both are straight up which tells me the timing is correct.

As you can see the belt has good tension and is not out of place.

Looking at the valve arms and spring, nothing looks out of place. This is the actual cylinder valve that has no compression.

Here is the other valve still same cylinder. Nothing looks bad to me.

So I have to keep going. Here I am removing the manifold bolts.

Before I go any further, I read that I have to make sure the timing is correct prior to removal. So I check again to make sure both “UP” signs are facing straight up at 12 o’clock.