need new engine advice

Omaplata25

I have an 86 teg that needs a new engine what would be the best bet or at least best engine that would fit in my car. Would the engine from a 90 teg fit? Any info will help.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
According to Honda Tuning magazine, you can put any B series engine into an 86-89 Teg. They rate the difficulty as Level 2 for any of the B series engines (On a scale of 1 to 4, 1 being easiest). They describe a "Level 2" as:
"The engine bolts in with the aid of a kit (from companies such as HASport, Place Racing, or HCP). This may be slightly more costly, but the amount of work involved should be comparable to a level 1 swap."

"Level 1" is:
"The engine bolts in using stock Honda or Acura components, with no modifications to the car. This is so easy, it might even be fun."

hyper98gsr

through a b16 or b18 n it. you can get a good stock jdm b16 from hmotorsonline.com for about 1100 bucks.

B16aTeggy

yes it will "fit" but u need alot of parts

look... if u dont have alot of money to pay with dont even try to do the B swaps.. i tryed to do it and ran out of money...
look for another 86-87 d16a1.. yes 86-87 and 88-89 d16a1s are different.. seein u have a 86-97 the swap is going to cost u alot more..

if u still wanna do the swap check out hasport.com they have pretty much everthing u need.. the only thing u need to get that they dont have is the motor/tranny/ecu and a 99-00 si rear mount

u can also check out G1teg.org. this site/fourm is for g1 tegs.. they have a price and list of parts needed for this swap..

i think these are the prices for the parts(price might be a lil different but there was it when i did the swap)

-b16a1 whole swap $2000-3000(or other motor)
-motor mounts $600+ shipping
-99-00 civic si rear mount i think it was around $80 on ebay
-wireing harness for a 86-87 teg was around $300 i think?/88-89 was like $85 +shipping
-axles $150
shit i think thats it... but i might be wrong

ALSO.. u can NOT have a/c or p/s

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
D16a1 (86-87 Integra) 113hp@6250rpm's and 99lb-ft of tourque at 5500 rpm's
D16a3 (88-89 Integra) 118hp@5500rpm's and 103lb-ft of tourque at 5500 rpm's
5 more peak hp that you'll hit 750 revs sooner, and four more pounds of tourque.

Both are 1.6's (1590 cc's of displacement in both) with 9.5:1 compression. The trannys for all G1 Integra's are the same (they're all CG tranny's).

I got all this info from a Honda Tuning mag that came out in the summer of 2001! I held onto it just because it has all this great info in it!

B16aTeggy

good info i guess.. but i get all mine first hand.

but that dosnt really help him when trying to find out what kinda motor he wants..

dude if ur looking for a motor check out g1teg.org they have everything u need...

or look on ebay

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I think it helps him, and I'm sure he thinks so too.
And what do you expect him to learn on Ebay about what will fit into his car?

hyper98gsr

why settle for a d16 100hp motor? puttng maybe 80 hp to the wheels?! if you have the dough get something you'll be happy with. for instance b series. the swap isn't hard. and dosn't cost much either. and the b16a1and b18a swaps cost near nothing(in engine terms). you WILL regret not getting something with a better start platform.

yes the b18a from that 90 teg will work perfect. all you need are mounts. research through yahoo and a couple web sites to find out exactly what you need BEFORE you stat buyng stuff.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You said it, hyper98 gsr...basically its all gonna depend on the size of his wallet.

You can be fast and reliable, but it won't be cheap.
You can be fast for cheap, but it won't be reliable.
You can be reliable and cheap, but it won't be fast.

Most of us need to pick two out of three :)

B16aTeggy

dude wtf are yall talking about?.. i fucking did this swap.. it is NOT cheap.. plz dont fucking tell sumone im wrong when u have no fucking clue wtf ur talking about or even how to fucking work on a g1 teg..

u think its cheap do u?.. just motor mounts? ya $600 +shipping motor mounts thats cheapo right?.. well seein u cant use ur stock d16a1 axles and u cant use the B axles u have to get "customs".the cheap ones are $150 + shipping.. so ur looking at what 750+shipping then u have to get the wireing harness.. saeein that he has a 86 that d16a1 is vac. avands. so he needs to convert that and the only way is to get a premade harness(unless u know wtf ur doing) that around $300(pretty sure).. thats what now? $1500 +shipping.. and u still got the "WHOLE SWAP".. meaning u need everyfucking(all the bolt ons motor/tranny/ecu/motor harness.) and u still have get a 99-00 si rear mount with was around $80(on ebay) so ur at $1580 +shipping of all parts.. ur going to need a fuel reg., maybe a new fuel pump.. ur going to have to play with the coolnt lines from different car(like civic si'ss and delsol si's). then u got to live with out a.c and p/s, b.c there's NO room for it.. u have beat the frame by teh ant. just for that to clear

so teh dumb fucks tell u "o its cheap and easy. the motor just pops in" there full of shit and need to learn to stfu

u think im pullin this shit out my ass? do u?.. fuck u heres a link bitch http://www.g1teg.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5705

Last edited:

B16aTeggy

hyper98gsr said:
why settle for a d16 100hp motor? puttng maybe 80 hp to the wheels?! if you have the dough get something you'll be happy with. for instance b series. the swap isn't hard. and dosn't cost much either. and the b16a1and b18a swaps cost near nothing(in engine terms). you WILL regret not getting something with a better start platform.

yes the b18a from that 90 teg will work perfect. all you need are mounts. research through yahoo and a couple web sites to find out exactly what you need BEFORE you stat buyng stuff.

tegsox read what he said.. he said it IS cheap

and he didnt even read ur post.. D16a1 (86-87 Integra) 113hp@6250rpm's and 99lb-ft of tourque at 5500 rpm's
5 more peak hp that you'll hit 750 revs sooner, and four more pounds of tourque.

thats more than 100 buddy

hyper98gsr

B16aTeggy said:
tegsox read what he said.. he said it IS cheap

and he didnt even read ur post.. D16a1 (86-87 Integra) 113hp@6250rpm's and 99lb-ft of tourque at 5500 rpm's

thats more than 100 buddy
not much more, smartass. dont take offense. if you have any hope of going fast EVER then it would be very numb to change that motor out for the same one.
just because you are comfortable with going backwards in 5th gear dosn't make it the thing to do.

and there is no need to cuss us all out because we dont agree with you. if the cheapest rear si mount you can find is 80 bucks than you dont need to be doing motor swaps. your simply not resourceful. and 150 for axles...come on. i have done plenty of motor swaps. swaps alot more difficult than this one. anyhow 1500 really isn't that much, for the power difference you are getting.(assuming you dont look for the parts and spend that much). dont knock the idea of having a faster car because you failed in your attempt.

this hobby costs money. simple as that. if you are gonna cry about it instead of saving up, like EVERYONE else, than you should pick up something else. like model cars or something.

Last edited:

dalek

TegSox said:
D16a1 (86-87 Integra) 113hp@6250rpm's and 99lb-ft of tourque at 5500 rpm's

Both are 1.6's (1590 cc's of displacement in both) with 9.5:1 compression. The trannys for all G1 Integra's are the same (they're all CG tranny's).
Stupid question: are the heads interchangeable?