No reverse issue

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Okay guys I'm stumped on this one.

Here's the issue: I have no reverse, it feels like I'm being gated out of the gear.
-I have tried double clutching it and tried it get it into reverse when the car is off, still doesn't work
-Mechanic says it's not the shift linkage, he says he could rebuild the transmission but it would cost around $650 in labor and that's just a waste.
-1st-5th gear work fine, no issues

Here is what I've been told by different people what the issue is
-shift collar
-engine/transmission mounts
-transaxle
-Transmission is shot

What do you guys think?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Have you tried putting it in by hand, without the linkage? I think you have to turn the gear select all the way to the right and push in. That will immediately rule out whether or not the transmission is bad, or something else is causing it to not go in gear.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You may have to pop the linkage off to get it in, it would be easiest to unbolt it under the shifter, so you don't have to push out the pin. Sometimes is hard getting it into reverse without any leverage (without the shifter) but if you turn it all the way clockwise you should be able to feel when it's between 3-4th and then a little more will put you between 5 and reverse(you'll need to turn it even more for reverse)

You might need someone to press the clutch in for you as well.

Last edited:

osiris19

The pin isn't bad if you have the right sized punch and a nice big hammer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It fails to go into reverse every time, under every circumstance?

Having a direct solid shift linkage makes it very easy to troubleshoot. The only possible issue with the linkage is either its bent or the bushings are sloppy not giving you the leverage you need. Both should be easy to visually inspect.

Nick_C78

Having a direct solid shift linkage makes it very easy to troubleshoot. The only possible issue with the linkage is either its bent or the bushings are sloppy not giving you the leverage you need. Both should be easy to visually inspect.
Exactly my thoughts. My money is on the bushings. Unless you ran over something that bend the linkage. I doubt its internal, but hell it could be some debris or the hub is fucked inside, but neither of those make sense because all other gears work.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas

Yes, this is correct. Tried to manually put the linkage in, couldn't get it in. Was able to manually put the linkage in every other gear though.

osiris19

Does it not go in at all, like its blocked? Maybe the reverse idler is stuck or the pitch fork is broke or bent. Did you trying putting it in first and then try reverse?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It's pretty hard to get into rev like that, try putting it in first and then going to rev, if you have it on stands you might need to spin the wheels back and forth.

Theasian

If you deem your linkage and bushing are ok likely looking at internal issue from something blocking the change leavers assembly to possibly a broken reverse arm selector