No-Start Problem, Details Inside.

99TegLs

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, been browsing for months now. So anyway, down to business! It all started on Monday, December 19, 2011, at 7am. I was in quite a hurry (im still a senior in high school) as i woke up late. So I started my car and ripped it full blast out of the driveway, i know i know, mistake #1! Anyway, the car died when I went to hit the brake and turn a corner, and wouldn't start back up. I ended up pushing it the whole way home. So there it sat, in my garage... Upon inspection, spark plug well # 2 had a large amount of oil in it. so i cleaned it out as well as i could, removed all the spark plugs to see further damage. I shined a light and saw a flooded combustion chamber! in my head thinking: Hey! oil in the spark plug well? Time for a new valve cover gasket! So that was the first step. It failed. The rest of my attempts were as follows...
1. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor. -Nope
2. New distributor.-Nope...
3. Checked Main Relay. -Nope!
4. New fuel filter and checked fuel pressure. -Nope again!
5. Checked compression and timing, to ensure I hadn't skipped a tooth. -Nope
6. Uninstallation of my amplifier and alarm system. Hell Nope!
After all of this I stand completely dumbfounded. What else could possibly be wrong! :???:
I have since then checked injector pulse with a noid light, and have been charging the battery the whole time. I have also swapped ECU's with a buddie's working teg, and still no start. I have it in my garage so temperature can't be a factor. HELP!

ChrisTypeR408

Try changing the o rings on the valve cover? Did you try checking your fuel pump? If it isnt your main relay (still clicks when you turn the key) then you should check the wire that goes to the fuel pump itself. If you don't hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key then no fuel pressure is building up.

99TegLs

As previously stated in the clear write up... I changed the valve cover gasket (that comes with the four o rings) i checked the fuel pump through the full fuel pressure testing. it's all fine. The fuel pump has a 2-3 second prime. Any other suggestions? Hopefully I can get an answer so it'll start. This is my dd and its been outta commission for a week now. How am i ever going to get to my job at Staples!@! hahaa.

mirrorimg

Did you test to make sure you are getting spark?

Prozon

Kris
Like Jason said, does it have spark? Take the spark plug out and ground it to the valve cover or exhaust manifold while someone tries to start it.

If you had bad valve cover o-rings then the oil would have gone in your cylinders and might not let it start up. A good idea is to put a towel over the valve cover with the plugs out and have someone crank it to have the oil shoot out. Make sure the plugs are dry and reinsert.

If you check and you do not have spark- make sure you have three clicks with the main relay. (I know you said you checked.)

My next guess would be to test the ignition switch, since you said you swapped out the distributor already.

99TegLs

it tries to turn over, i cleared out all the oil, it clicks, has full spark, bought a spark tester and goes to the highest setting. I'm going to get the timing looked at, because im not so sure, could it not be starting because it skipped a tooth?

99TegLs

i couldnt find a thread to show timing on our b18b1's only how to time new cam gears, ect...

Prozon

Kris
Grab a can of starting fluid from the local part store. Spray it into the intake. If it fires, you have no fuel delivery.