Overheating question

OneFastGSR

Last couple days I been driving my teg it been running hot while i drive, The tempature gauge is constantly alittle under half, Hondata shows it as overheating but i thought that was regular temp. I have full size mishimoto radiator and mishimoto slim fan, radiator filled etc, Mishimoto transmission cooler. I don't really understand how it would be overheating. I was sitting in the drive thru getting food earlier and looked at the temp gauge and it was damn near the hottest point on it. I shut the car off turned it back on 30 seconds later and it was back down.

Also whenever I first turn on the car after awhile the temp gauge will go up real fast to the regular alittle below halfway point, and whenever I take off after letting it sit for awhile anymore than 20% throttle it acts like it hits fuel cut and just bogs down. Then when i give it alittle throttle it'll go. But once I drive it for awhile I can give it more gas without it bogging like that.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Under half is not hot. Thats why theres a half. Getting anywhere past 60% id start to be concerned and near the hottest point? Better get it fixed. Even driving a short time while its hot can damage it. Start with the basics, check your fluid level, look for leaks, make sure your fans come on, and start considering what might need replacing.

BankiBoi

Like he said check if your fans work if not get a new fan switch or check fuses. That don't work replace thermostat

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

OneFastGSR

I check the fluids everytime I drive it, My best guess is the thermostat. But like i'll be driving down the road the tempature gauge will go up for no reason than go back down to the normal spot. All the fans turn on when I turn the key on

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
^get it fixed before it becomes a problem.

Theres a couple ways to check if the thermostat is working, youll have to google it cuz it was years ago that i read through those. Not expensive or hard to replace either way. You need to be sure the fans are coming on when theyre supposed to. Turning the key on i dont think is one of them. One fan obviously is on when the ac is and the other comes on when the ecu prompts it to at certain temps/durations. After your car is warmed up and then sitting for a while you should observe the fan go on at some point. If it doesnt then its not being told to, not getting the signal or doesnt even work. This is where i think its possible to see the flux in heat at different times (like a drive thru where youre not passing air through) because the rest of the cooling system works but the fan puts in quite a bit of work as well. So without it working, overtime it will put wear on the rest of the system through additional heat stress. Make sure fans work or the rest of your car will pay for it.

BankiBoi

Maybe your ect switch is bad or wire could be loose as well

OneFastGSR

I'm changing thermostat tomarrow, I know it's not the fan I have the mishimoto slim fan and set on hondata for it to run all the time. Tried a bunch of different settings, Run it at lower tempature, Higher speeds, Etc doesn't change the overheating.

Rattlecan Hero

Frame Banger
^^ x2 When your car over heats there is always that possibility of your head gasket being blown. Check your coolant and your oil to see if they have mixed. If they have, it's going to look like chocolate milk almost. If your head gasket IS blown pull the head and check to see if it's warped, because 9 times out of 10 they get do warped if the car has run too hot or over heats completely.

supersilko

I thought under half is normal operating temp? My car is always under half

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

OneFastGSR

Alright so i replaced the thermostat the other day and it stopped going up and down like crazy and stays steady. Now i'm thinking the water pump is going bad or something. I'll drive it and it'll stay at 179 degrees the entire trip than i'll drive it again and it'll slowly go up and just go up up up i noticed it once and when i stopped there was smoke comin out the hood. I let it cool down and drive it again and it stays at a steady 179 degrees...??

72Spitfire

Never trust a Honda water pump for more than 90K miles. How many does yours have? It sounds like a failing pump to me.

OneFastGSR

20k on everything... It's just my shitty ass luck, 12k on a timing belt and the damn thing ripped all the way down through the middle. 20k on everything now and it's doing this

Last edited:

BankiBoi

20k on everything... It's just my shitty ass luck, 12k on a timing belt and the damn thing ripped all the way down through the middle. 20k on everything now and it's doing this
Happens to the best of us. Hope all goes well and you don't end up with a warped head