Paint or No Paint??

• Leave lettering black

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Remove Paint a more OEM look

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
well, like the title states, i would like some opinions on my recently painted valve-cover.

i bought a valve cover from a fellow clubintegra member (thanks 8urcivic) which had already been stripped, all i needed to do is paint it and put it on.

anyway, onto what i need some help deciding.

when i painted the cover, instead of taking the time to mask of the "H" and "Honda Motor Co." i opted to go ahead and paint over it as i was just going to Dremel off the paint on those locations. but since i painted it, i have run into a dilemma. i used VHT Wrinkle Black Paint (and the outcome was great btw) and actually kind of like the look of the H and other lettering in black.

the dilemma is, should i leave it black, or go ahead and dremel off the paint and polish up the lettering?

thanks ;) i wont be installing it until NEXT weekend to give the paint plenty of time to cure. also, if i do remove the paint on the lettering, should i clearcoat the valve-cover to prevent it from chipping around the letters?

how it currently looks:

i was thinking of being really fancy at the start of the project and going with blue lettering to be a little different, but i wasn't sure how much i'd like it, so i decided against it.

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
def polish it up, leaving it like that means being lazy. polishing scores points due to the work and prep that needs to be put into it, it will be seriously notice if you polish it up. just my 2cents

MeDiKTeG

Wingless Hatch
:twocents: Will look a lot better once you polish it off. The way it looks right now is kind of cheap and cheesy. Just my opinion, though.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
bump

update ;)

valve cover is officially finished.
i didn't show what it looked like when i received it, it was already stripped, ready for paint.
before:

after:
this pic does it NO justice, the lighting in the room was TERRIBLE when the pic was taken. trust me, its BLACK. doesn't have the "greenish" hue to it at all.

the new one should be a pretty good improvement over the current cover:

^^^
notice the current VC is faded pretty bad, more of a dark grey as compared to black. also notice that there are a few paint chips in it. when i put the new valve cover on it, i will be getting rid of the terribly ugly blue oil cap.

gonna put it on NEXT weekend when i have time to adjust the valves (a little noisy at the moment) that should give the paint plenty of time to fully cure. as wrinkle paint dries/cures VERY slow compared to regular paints.

also, for those that remember, the paint chip i mentioned earlier has been fixed. i did what another member suggested and sprayed some paint onto a paper plate, used a very small brush and applied. ended up chipping another section when i DROPPED THE FUCKING DREMEL. i've never had a clumsy moment like that on a project. that chip was pretty bad so i ended up repairing that chip with the same method, and to make sure the paint was even over the entire valve cover, i just went ahead and sprayed it with another coat or two of the wrinkle paint. let it dry, then RE-DREMEL'd the lettering. everything went off without a hitch and came out looking great, IMO anyway.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
^^^
roflmfao.
thanks for the VC man, i mentioned it in the first post ;) i can't decide on whether i wanna get a stock oil cap or spring for a nice aftermarket one, from spoon or something to that effect. gonna be getting some spoon reservoir covers in the near future. gonna be forming a wire tuck when the motor comes out to be boosted. when that happens i'm gonna shave the whole bay. all unused bolt holes will magically dissappear. ;) so will about 70% of the wiring.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
it looks good. i have a obd2 vc now, im not sure what color im gonna paint it, either camo or wrinkle red.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I got a spare valve cover chillen this thread is makin me want to make another one that looks good as hell. Maybe I can sell it on here.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
i had to order it as i couldn't find it in any autoparts stores locally. i got it from amazon.com, but came in a Summit Racing package, so i imagine that Amazon was just kind of like the "middle-man" so to speak. "Wrinkle Red" is almost impossible to find in stores, order it and paint away. would love to see what it looks like.

your obd2 valve cover, is it the one that has a PCV valve spot on the VC? on 96+ ls tegs? i want one of those SOOOO bad. all i'd have to do is plug that hole and run my stock PCV setup as usual. i've also got a painted OG skunk2 intake manifold to be installed when i go boost next year ;)