Passing smog in Cali with an illegal exhaust manifold...???

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
sorry, everyone else was saying asshole so I kinda got on the bandwagon.. He was a big dumbass

Oh oh oh! This was the same guy I took my RX8 to get smogged... He called me over and said his machine couldnt pick up my RPMs, so he said he wasnt saying it was my car, and it wasnt his machine, it just wasnt working... lol. Idk how he is in business still

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
I know about the CEL, but in all honesty the shops I've been to pop the hood before they enter any kind of information into their computer. Just by realizing they have an illegal header or intake that should be enough to tell the customer "Hey you should get OEM parts and come back for another smog"

NO. Instead they run everything and tell you it didn't pass visuals. In most cases I have been the one pulling up the car and they tell me to pop the hood as soon as I drive it in.

I even had a car pass a GROSS POLLUTER inspection after it was fixed. That is the hardest test to pass even more than the state BAR for the mere fact that there already has been failed emmisions and you have to take it to a special shop to do it. I've dealt with smogging quite a it.

If they don't pass it due to visuals, it's fine, but charge you for it and knowing it wouldn't pass is like scamming someone out of their money.

Like a cop giving you a ticket for a cracked windshield or tags that you have in your glovebox.
I'm going to be a cop and theres something called discretion. It's about having the power to decide whether to give a ticket or not to. Same with stupid gay scamming charges from shops.
Gross polluters just get flagged to go to test-only stations. There's no special "gross polluter inspection" that happens. It just gets flagged in the system and then you're required to go to a test-only station. I know this because we own a Test-Only station here in Cali. lol I assure you that our tests are ran no differently than any other smog station, contrary to what many consumers believe. It is not "harder" than any other smog you would have to get. All stations are required to run their smog tests the exact same way required by the state. No one station is harder than another.

If anything, it's a good thing to go to a test-only shop.. At test-only stations, we have no incentive to fail you for any unnecessary repairs since test-only stations are not certified by the state to do repair work. We don't benefit from failing you. Tests only, hence the name.

If you really think about, why be mad at the shop? If you have aftermarket parts on your car, it is no one's responsibility but your own to make sure that they're legal parts. If not, you can't blame a shop or technician for failing you. They could simply be popping the hood to make sure your car's information matches up. :thumbs up

If they have to run the test and check all your parts, why shouldn't they charge you? Some shops offer free re-tests. People who like to bitch and cry about failing for illegal parts they know is on the car should look into the ones that offer that.

Last edited:

Cripton805

If anything, it's a good thing to go to a test-only shop.. At test-only stations, we have no incentive to fail you for any unnecessary repairs since test-only stations are not certified by the state to do repair work. Tests only, hence the name.

If they have to run the test and check all your parts, why shouldn't they charge you?
You're wrong. They're not test only stations. I know because I went to two different shops and both of the shops had mechanics and one of the shops they were SAE certified.
(WHICH THEY SUCKED BIG BALLS ANYWAY as technicians/mechanics)

I don't think you understand my argument. Like Hypered said, they physically saw the parts on his car and ran no form of test because he warned him before hand. These people were reasonable and I could understand if they didn't want to get fined and not even proceed with the inspection. I've had that happen to me too for minor parts.

BUT when they pop the hood and CONTINUE knowing it would not pass the visuals BEFORE they begin to do any form of work is stealing peoples money in my opinion. Like modeling agents looking specifically for 5'10" models and they charge people to come by and get viewed. And some 5' girl comes in. Reviews her and fail her because shes too short. Even though they knew she wouldn't pass before any reviewing was even done, and they just REVIEWED her to get her money. Does that make sense now?

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
You're wrong. They're not test only stations. I know because I went to two different shops and both of the shops had mechanics and one of the shops they were SAE certified.
(WHICH THEY SUCKED BIG BALLS ANYWAY as technicians/mechanics)

I don't think you understand my argument. Like Hypered said, they physically saw the parts on his car and ran no form of test because he warned him before hand. These people were reasonable and I could understand if they didn't want to get fined and not even proceed with the inspection. I've had that happen to me too for minor parts.

BUT when they pop the hood and CONTINUE knowing it would not pass the visuals BEFORE they begin to do any form of work is stealing peoples money in my opinion. Like modeling agents looking specifically for 5'10" models and they charge people to come by and get viewed. And some 5' girl comes in. Reviews her and fail her because shes too short. Even though they knew she wouldn't pass before any reviewing was even done, and they just REVIEWED her to get her money. Does that make sense now?
No, I'm pretty sure I'm dead on. lol I'm not sure why you always think I don't understand what you're saying. It's almost insulting.

Like I've said, we're the people you go to when you're required to go to a test-only station for any reason, including having previously failed for being a gross polluter. I know the laws and regulations and what we are and are not allowed to do. Trust me, I don't mess around when it comes to potentially being fined.

Let me school you. You have three types of stations.

1) Test-and-Repair Stations: these stations are state-certified to run normal smog check (when your car is not Test-Only required) and, if the car happens to fail, they are also certified to work on your car. Test-and-Repair stations are not allowed to do Test-Only smogs.

2) Gold Shield Stations: these stations are state-certified to run both regular smog checks as well as Test-Only smog checks. They're state-certified to work on failed smogs also. These stations are heavily regulated by the state. Consumers with cars CAP approved also bring their cars here for work.

3) Test-Only Stations: these stations are state-certified to run both regular and Test-Only smog inspections. Test-Only stations are not allowed to do any diagnostic work or repair work on any vehicles at all nor are they allowed to refer you to a shop that does. These stations are put out there for the consumer's benefit. They serve as a check and balance to insure the consumer isn't being had. These stations are also heavily regulated and have more undercover state cars sent in for smogs than a regular smog shop to keep them on their toes and to maintain the integrity of system.

*Then of course there are state referee stations. lol I think everyone in California knows what these are.

All stations that preform smog checks are regulated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR).

P.S. Sometimes a technician will see a part and know right off the bat that it will not pass. That's their call on whether they want to tell you. Unless requested, no one has to make sure all your parts will pass before they smog it. That is what the visual portion is for. Like I've said, maybe the techs aren't being "assholes" but only doing what their job or didn't notice it like someone thinks. There are three portions of smog tests and they all come at different times. The tech doesn't have to check the part until the computer asks. That is how it works.

Last edited:

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
CARB stickers are there for a reason, no sticker, no pass. Even if you have the sticker, but it's not on the right spot, they can fail you
I think a bigger asshole is the first smog shop we took my car to before I bought it.. At the time, it was just the AEM intake on it. Guy calls us over.. Tells us it wont pass, we need stock intake.. Show him the C.A.R.B. sticker on it, still no go...

Took it somewhere else, passed with flying colors legally.

Btw OP, you cant get any C.A.R.B. sticker for your header.. That gets riveted on. s*** gets hot

Whoever sold you that piece of shit header is an asshole :lol:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
easiest solution, install the OE exhuast manifold.

OR

obtain a carb plaque and have it welded on... how and where, you figure it out.

Last edited:

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Whoever sold you that piece of s*** header is an asshole :lol:
hmm, I wonder who that might be :roll: lol. I was almost going to sell it because my new radiator almost didnt fit with it in there..

And if you have a CARB tag for a header, then you probably have a DC header, because as far as I know, thats the only street legal header for this car.. Thats why I jumped on OGs header, and he didnt even need to type up a f/s :lol: Might as well just throw on the DC header if you come across it though. Or get a stock exhaust manifold, and change it out every smog test

I've also seen people get the heat shield welded on, you can try that too :lol: up to you man.