Powerneedy's 00 GSR track build

powerneedy

Well I picked this car up with the intentions of picking up where my red car left off but instead of making the car fun, fast, and "comfortable" I decided it was all in or nothing. The car is being built to run mainly in Redline time attack Modified class, but there is lots of other organizations it still will fit in. Here is how it started out when i bought it and has been like this for 6+ years...

And here it sits now... bare with me better pics to come i keep forgetting my camera

The main hoop for the cage is done just not shown in the pics welded up. The "freebe" things are mainly the things done so far untill the cage is done. So far these items have been removed to ditch weight
Complete ABS
Complete AC
complete Stock Clutch MC/ SC/ lines
Complete evap,
Complete airbag system
All rear seat brackets
Any bracket not used (there is tons)
All sound Deadning and fire wall matte
Sun roof/ roof
Rear window wiper
All interior except Dash, center console, arm rest delete
Antenna
Any harness, plugs, sensors not used

Got the clutch in

More pics of the progress. Both front stays are built just both are not in the picture. door bars are almost finished but no pics of those yet

Little more progress

Tuner View all mounted ready to go

powerneedy

Well between work and family I have been still working on the car but only little bits at a time and never had time to take photos... The car is still not quite there and still dirty just wanted to update you guys a little. Still unsure what or how im going to do door panels, the factory ones dont fit by only a little. I wasnt going to run carpet but ocd got me LOL...

I have been to the track twice with the car since it was put together and it manages to be broken before the first hot lap of the day. Once was my fault as I knew I was going to be cutting it close with the motor staying together on the greddy kit as the motor had 80k on it and 25k of it being turboed. Long story short 3 cracked ring landings and 1 bent wrist pin, Only made it around the warm up lap then down the front straight on hot lap 1. Imagine that, that's what you get when you don't listen to your gut (and friends) Haha. So freshened up the motor with new race bearings, forged wisco pistons, and eagle H-beam rods.

While it was down I ended up selling the greddy turbo setup as someone wanted it and it was all off for the rebuild. Well this is where the second issue comes in. I had most of the parts for the new turbo setup. Right when this build thread started I had bought this garret GT3071-r that had been ported/ polished and high temp coated for a good deal... obviously to good. Well between the rebuild of the motor and getting the new backdoor setup, new rad for the backdoor, tune and all the fab work to go along with it I had 1 1/2 months to accomplish this. long story short got it all done with 3 days to spare for the tune lol. Put roughly hundred miles on the motor and new turbo setup all was perfect. Car was running great off the acuator that was supposed to be 12-14 psi, But we were only getting 8-9 psi which we thought was really weird and could not trace it to anything related to boost/vac leaks. We left it at that as we knew the tune was safe. Well long story short I got screwed on the turbo we found out the abnormally load spin down after the motor was shut off was because there was a serious issue with the turbo the guy didnt decide to share with me. Well the turbo didnt decide to fail till front straight of the 1st hot lap haha. Good thing is it didnt get any metal in the motor somehow...

Here are some pictures of the new setup I will have some more of the whole custom radiator and backdoor when I do some cleanup.

And here it is for now......

next is oil cooler, freshen up the trans(cough lsd), and new turbo gtx3071r hopfully. Any suggestions or criticism is always welcome

Some nice parts from skunk2/H-T

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2871702

And some awesome guys from function theory doing a little cover on the car

http://functiontheory.blogspot.com/2010/12/powerneedys-amazing-track-car.html

Well i didn't get much shot but I just couldn't get very motivated to go roll around on the cold garage floor haha. But I have some pics for everyone hopefully and I'm going to brain storm a little here.

In this pic below you can see there is opening on each side of the IC and is not the most ideal thing as air will choose the least resist path or in this case its just being wasted. So im thinking of boxing it in on each side of the ic to utilize it, I don't feel the turn signals are the best area for what I want to do as the don't seem to be as much of a high pressure zone at those openings. I'm thinking on the pass side a oil cooler and the other side kind a like a intake box... I'm not an aero engineer so if one of those guys pipe up that would be awesome. I don't want a negative affect on the cooling of the ic and rad

some pics of the tilton hydrolic bearing. You will see the new master cylinder in the top pic and the second pic the line into the trans, It really is a clean looking setup.

in this pic you can also see the mac valve aka electronic boost controller that threw Neptune we can control boost so if need be I can do boost by gear

Now onto the radiator. The ic is in the way for now so I will get some better pics but you get the idea how the rad and ic work well with each other.

nice and close just how it needs to be, makes boxing it off easy

and you can see its quite a bit bigger than the one getting sold as a tucked rad on ht. This was not really done for the back door inter cooler but to get the radiator as far as possible away from that fire breathing demon bolted to the motor. The nice features about it is its a dual pass and doesn't look like it but it holds roughly the same amount of water as a full size aftermarket radiator.

The turbo has been off for a bit and never got a picture of it all on there. Its hard to imagine but in the pic you see the inlet of the ic all pipe length is it comes out and makes a 90 turn right if looking and the pic and then a 90 degree turn towards the block to the compressor of the turbo... that's it, its less that 12" long

Another pic of the back door inter cooler that SLS made me its a smaller version of there big race ic. I modified the crash beam so there was no drop down in the beam and then welded a new piece back in place so I didn't compromise strength. I did this to gain roughly and inch more of ground clearance for offs, It also got it so it was not the lowest or one of the lowest things on the front.

And a random pic

michaelz

this car looks the business. well built sir.

can't wait to see it get out on track again. update with a few photos and results when you do. hopefully this time everything is solid and you'll lay down that hot lap.

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
ooooh lawdy
:worthy: were not worthy were not worthy! lol :lol:

very nice build good sir! Do you know the total weight of the car?

powerneedy

Not 100% sure on weight as I haven't had a chance to get it on the scales. But any bracket inside/outside any where on car that was not used was cut out and removed, even the dash is gutted lol. I am hopping for a 22~2300 mark that should be fairly easy...

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
damn...this makes my track car look like shit lol props man love what you did with it...

what kinda wing is that? APR gt200/gt300?

Cripton805

Damn... You should've just picked up a junk RS to tear apart. lol

Officially one of my favorite builds. Definately not street legal in CA hahaha

Did you upgrade the sway bars?

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Not 100% sure on weight as I haven't had a chance to get it on the scales. But any bracket inside/outside any where on car that was not used was cut out and removed, even the dash is gutted lol. I am hopping for a 22~2300 mark that should be fairly easy...
i know mine is right around 2300 maybe a little less..yours should be there too

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
looks bad ass, how do you like the PS on the track, i've never had PS in any car(not a fan)?

powerneedy

haha thanks guys.

The wing is a apr gtc 200 on 300 stands with custom thing to mount to the and to attach that stand to the 200 spoiler

still street legal in my area...well close enough lol, Bars are still stock for now the front chassis is not as solid as I would like and so the rear has more rotation that i like at the moment.

the weight I thought I was being fairly realistic thanks for the confirmation

PS with fairly wide tires and decent amounts of power... wouldn't trade it for anything. I have raced my dads teg car full built lht/sc with narrower tires and I felt like I was fighting the car the whole time and not focusing on the corners. Plan for ps is electric ps and going to a bigger tire to put down the power