Question for the import drivers...why drive em?

slikk

Money Getter
DownShift96GSR said:
So I got a new car right, Found On the Road Dead. Well after getting in home, I had to Fix Or Repair Daily. I couldn't figure out what kind of vehicle it was until I was done. Its a F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge is all it is. My great grandpa has one. His is a Flipped Over Reservation Decoration. And then a guy I went to school with races his. He's always F***ed On Race Day. At my job one of the drives had to deliver a transmission to this guy I know and I lent him my car. Well needless to say, the Driver Returned On Foot.

HA HA HA HA H too funny

hellbread

k i was surfin the net and came across this thread...now im not sure if i was the one that asked that question or not. so forgive me if i sound stupid for trying to answer my own question. but yeah its a gimme that a iroc would spank a civic. but then u figure u stock u got a 1.6 *maybe* vs a 5.7 *maybe* i meen that 350 is gonna whoop. but the civic is alot lighter. and has more room to work with. i believe the hype came with f&f. but i meen that isnt a bad thing for those who are like *f&f yuck* i meen with this hype comes a bigger demand for imports. which in turn creates a bigger demand for the aftermarket parts. which makes more performance parts available to you. just a thought :) well my personal opinion all around imports are better cars. they def. are more reliable. but i dun care wat anyone says. no blender can compare to the sound of a purring muscle car. imho.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildest5

ok you have a car that is a v-8 and is fast stock 13-12 or so and i have a 1990 crx that has about 100 hp stock or in some cases 64 hp stock but when i put enough money into it i will be running 11 to 12 sec qm. also we the people who drive imports only have to port out "1" head to get more airflow 300-400 bucks alot of people with v-8 will just simply replace "2" heads and that will be about 1,200 dollars or so.

In my opinion i think making a il4 just as fast or faster than a v-8 is awsome and their mouths just drop and turn off as soon as you beat them

"GONE V-8 HUNTIN' BE BACK IN 12 SECONDS"

hadjie85

to me, every one of the reasons mentioned played into me wanting an import. i want good gas mileage, dependability, good looks, and cheap insurance. i also want to be able to mod it, make it my own. and it is a little bit of rebelling, too, against the mainstream culture that thinks V8s shouldnt be bothered with 4bangers.

i cant stress the insurance thing enough.....i went to look at a V6 (not 8) mustang, sharp car....full coverage on that turd was SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a year!!! $7000!!!

half of my damn part-time paycheck...

hadjie85

i had to get this old thread back to the top of the boards again to make a point.

a lot of the people that posted on this thread said they drive imports because of their ability to customize them, to make them different, to make them their OWN car. then some of these same people would go over to another thread and complain about body kits, big wheels, spoilers, euro tails, and too many stickers.

are you kidding me? :shock:

by knocking ricers, you are knocking people who are doing what you are doing -- making their import into what they want. so what if you dont like it? when you complain about it, you sound just like non-import dirvers that dont understand US.... all we want from them is respect, yet we wont turn around and give it to people who dont like stock tails, or who want to show off how many parts they have with a bunch of stickers. instead of encouraging customization, you are killing it. :???:

dont worry though. im putting euros, HUGE wheels, a massive spoiler, a crazy body kit, and tons of stickers down the wheel wells. just to be different.

from you guys. :roll:

and ill also have a jackson racing super on my car, so when someone complains, i can handle it..... :D

sleeperintegra

hadjie85 said:
by knocking ricers, you are knocking people who are doing what you are doing -- making their import into what they want. so what if you dont like it? when you complain about it, you sound just like non-import dirvers that dont understand US.... all we want from them is respect, yet we wont turn around and give it to people who dont like stock tails, or who want to show off how many parts they have with a bunch of stickers. instead of encouraging customization, you are killing it. :???:
:clap: we'll be watching to make sure u don't knock someones car on here :p

hueman

that's a really good point hadjie...

it's the whole elitist attitude that comes from buying overpriced and rare japanese parts, i guess.

now then, the reason i got a civic (which my parents bought for me) way back in high school was because it's a fantastic LEARNER'S car. all hondas that i've driven are. it sucked in accelleration, it sucked in the corners, but i loved that thing. then, as i grew as a driver, i modded the suspension (and of course got ultra-rare-super-expensive jdm shit... :roll: )... i chose the civic because i liked how it looked. i was still prejudiced at the time against domestics, and just wanted to be fit in with my friends and whatnot.

the reason i chose my current car was for its handling and lineage (snooty, i know). power is easy to make, but handling balance is not.

i'd choose certain domestics over most imports though... like, cobras, vettes, vipers, you know, things like that
________
Xjs

Last edited:

Chuckie Finster

I drive imports (that includes European imports) because it represents me. Iono, for some reason I just don't feel right in a domestic. Aside from the fact that most new domestics are a POS, I really like a lot of them. '72 Dodge Challenger. But what I always say is that when I have a price range for any car, an import usually gets to be the first choice for me. i.e. If I had a range of $5000-6000, I could get an IROC or a Fox-Body. But I'd get a Civ or Teg 'cause the stang or mero just ain't me. Even though the pony's would kill any the Honda's (stock vs. stock and usu. modded vs modded) in a straight line. Turns out there's a lot more to a car than the 1320. Everything from the image to reliability is what makes me come back again and again. It's just me. :what:

Akiahara96

I sorta agree with him ^^^... I don't feel right driving a domestic compact.

I think the styling of most imports (but not the brand new ones) looks better, generally better gas mileage, and they're extremely dependable. I like the interior much more in a Honda than I do in a Chevrolet too. My steering is tighter and more sensitive and I like that.

:D

hadjie85

sleeperintegra said:
:clap: we'll be watching to make sure u don't knock someones car on here :p
watch all you want -- :D youll probably fall asleep from boredom. i respect other people's opinions on the way their stuff should look.

and i agree with you hueman, on ALL that stuff. especially the gas mileage! my old 94 prix (first car) had like a 15 gallon tank and got about 350 miles to the gallon. my teg gets 300 or so on a MUCH smaller tank - trouble is i cant stop drivin it.... i love it soooo much. :lol:

another thing about domestics -- they are a pain in the ARSE to work on... :roll:

misplacedcivic

Chuckie Finster said:
I drive imports (that includes European imports) because it represents me. Iono, for some reason I just don't feel right in a domestic. Aside from the fact that most new domestics are a POS, I really like a lot of them. '72 Dodge Challenger. But what I always say is that when I have a price range for any car, an import usually gets to be the first choice for me. i.e. If I had a range of $5000-6000, I could get an IROC or a Fox-Body. But I'd get a Civ or Teg 'cause the stang or mero just ain't me. Even though the pony's would kill any the Honda's (stock vs. stock and usu. modded vs modded) in a straight line. Turns out there's a lot more to a car than the 1320. Everything from the image to reliability is what makes me come back again and again. It's just me. :what:
believe it or not consumer reports says that european cars have more serious problems reported than domestic these days. at least, i think it was consumer reports. (i don't make BS up. i did read that somewhere. i think it was consumer reports).
anyway as far as racing on a drag strip, or any straight strip, or whatever the liklihood is you won't stumble accross a modded mustang or camaro because they think they'll be able to smoke any import with their stock vehicle.
i still give kudos to any car manufacturer or tuner. the only people that REALLY annoy me are those that disrespect imports for no good reason cuz of ignorance for their potential, or cuz of their overinflated ego.... :slap: idiots

2000EJ8

DownShift96GSR said:
True about the Civic to Integra similarities, but it's better to say you have an Acura Integra than a Honda Civic. It just sounds better, i've owned both so..............
But that acura integra has our honda engines and its just something that the USA did to make it seem like a different company so they can charge more for their cars!!! Sure the HONDA intergra's and the RL's and the RSX's might be more luxury type cars but overall all Honda motors are reliable and thats what made me want to get my civic!!! Most domestic owners look at the civics and say WEAK!!!!!!! But the 2000 Si has a 1.6 liter engine that pushes out 160 HP compared to the USA's cavelier that has a 2.4 liter with 160 HP!!! In my opinion, hondas technology is way better then the domestic!

hadjie85

eh, 2000ej8, maybe american SPOCOM technology is behind honda's, but they have the v8 tech down pat. to say that honda is technically more proficient than any american brand is a little - i dunno, off, i guess. no disrespect. :) im just sayin that america has always specialized in bigger, generally more luxurious (at least they TRY to make them LOOK luxurious :D ) rides that japanese cars while japan has always gone for smaller, more simpler cars with better gas.

do one thing, do it well.