Quick DIY question on head work!?!

LittleB10

Just wondering how hard it is to take out oem valves in a stock b18a head? I have seen it done with two people but can't remember what tools they used? i know seeing it done with two people may not have been the "right" way but i know it came be done...ya know what i mean? I figured i can safely remove them from the head and see what shape they are in and then have the machine shop install some plus other things and do what they have to do to them. Head was at shop about 4-5 months earlier being clean and resurfaced. i may need to install some valve seals on exhaust side, easier to do both sides at once? Tools, ideas, suggestions welcome. thanks in advanced.

BankiBoi

There's a special tool you have to order that compresses the springs, its like $150 I believe, there's a thread on this

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Jeffbel

If you want to just remove the valves and not install others you don't need the compressor. All you need is a 19mm socket, an extension and a hammer. Center the socket, with the extension attached, over the retainer and give it a nice whack. It might feel like you're breaking something but you're not. Just a heads up, the keepers go everywhere doing this.

Jeffbel

I think it's a 19mm, maybe a 17mm. The retainer is about the size of a quarter.

JohnnieHostile

You need to have the compressor to reinstall valves. I use the 19mm socket method to remove them, I put a magnet on inside of socket to catch the keepers. You also have to have a couple of wood blocks to raise head off of bench (put blocks on each edge not covering a combustion chamber) otherwise you can bend one making contact with bench while removing. You will need to lap valves into the headseats after getting them back from machine shop or installing new ones, then an adjustment after installing head and t-belt.
I bought my compressor for $70.00 2 years ago, has paid for itself since then, I recommend all valve seals especially since you are already taking valves out. It would be extremely stupid to have a smoker for skimping on ten minutes worth of work with the head already on a bench.

Last edited:

mediajunkie420

MediaJunkie
u can get a spring compressor for 5-30 bucks depending on what style u want... there is a lever type one or a clamp type one. harbor freight or auto zone