Radiator fan not turning on?

White95SE

So my fans aren't kicking in, but my car isn't overheating? I checked the fuses, they're good. Just recently changed out my thermostat and replaced some hoses. Other than that, I don't see any reason it wouldn't come on. Is there a simple test I could run to see what might be the issue? Thanks guys.

White95SE

I see. Well, with my wife's Altima for example, the fans turn on if it's left idling for a bit. It's an 05 with around 60k miles and no mechanical issues so I doubt it would get anywhere near overheating. That's actually what got me thinking about it.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
You can run power directly to the fan to see if it comes on. It should come on just like you think it should during idle. If its a recent problem then your lucky so far but u need to fix it because it will eventually wear down and you will see overheating. If it comes on you know the fan works so check the other end of the wiring that its getting voltage. This part im not sure how to do since it probably doesnt send the signal until it reaches a certain temperature but you can search for threads that have this information already or wait until someone feels like answering.

skinny_chef

Sorry to jump the thread, but I'm having the same issue.

Fans not coming on when the engine is up to temp. Both come on with A/C, so they are getting power. Checked fuses and relays, all are fine. No CEL. Getting to the point where the coolant is boiling in the reservoir. Engine stays at temp, as long as I keep refilling the coolant.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dopematic

Check connections on the fan switch (plug on the thermostat housing) and to the fans are good.

Make sure there is enough coolant with no leaks.

Make sure radiator cap is good.

skinny_chef

Thanks. Checked the wiring to the ECT this morning. Getting 12v and good continuity. Don't know how to check the ECT itself, outside of replacing it. Might replace the radiator cap just for good measure. Filled the system with coolant, let it run for about 30 minutes. No fans and boiling coolant again, but temp gauge on dash shows normal operating temp.

skinny_chef

To anyone reading this post, I highly recommend replacing the fan switch and radiator cap immediately. The temp gauge is in a poor location, and doesn't accurately read the temp when the fluid gets low. I'm pretty sure I have a blown head gasket, without showing an overtemp on the dash gauge. Better to spend $30 on the two parts than having to redo the head.