Rear ended!

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
Title is very irrelevant to the real subject, but I did get rear ended in my dad's car today! Not to happy haha...

Anyway, since the end of this coldness (in Chicago at least) is just a few months (hopefully less!!) away, I decided to bring my car out of hibernation. As some of you might recall, just before winter this year, I had a little uh-oh with my db1. Shifting from 3rd to 4th, I accidentally jammed it into 2nd and released the clutch, causing the engine to rev wayyy up to redline. And quickly too. After that I was getting a tick from what sounded like the valve cover.

I have ruled out a rod knock because it is a constant, steady ticking that never changes or dies out. That leaves me to believe it is a valve issue.

I know my way around a car, but this is just a little bit too much for me, so I'm hoping I might be able to get some suggestions before I have the local perf. shop take a looksee. Obviously not looking for any specific answers, but maybe a past experience similar to this. I haven't driven this baby in 2 months and it kills me inside to drive my father's Saturn around!! Let me know your thoughts guys, and sorry for the long post :shock:

*Keeping fingers crossed*

XxCaryxX

I know I ran mine with very very low oil once and had some loose valves. I had the valve adjusted and the tick went away. So, maybe that could be what it is.

Oh, and it didn't cost me much to have done either.

Mine is Non-vtec.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
well i know doing that can cause the valves to bend. but if they arent bent i would just have your valve lash adjusted and see if that helps at all.

94dc4

My name matches again lol
I hate to say this, but at least it wasn't your teg that got rear ended.

mirrorimg

Leakdown test. You will be able to see which cylinder has the valve issues. You are most likely going to want to pull the head and replace the valves.

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
Ok guys, talked to my local performance shop today and they said $85 for valve adjustment and obviously couldn't give me a price for replacing valves so hopefully it's just the valves needing the adjustment. I have a video on YouTube taken today around 7pm. Check it out and tell me what you think. The quality of the audio is almost perfect to what it sounds like in person.

Oh and @mirrorimg, they said they'd be doing a leakdown test to figure out which chamber it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6I4Njp_LNo

XxCaryxX

Dude, I hate to say it, but that sounds WAY worse than mine did. Sounds as if a valve could be bent. :(

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
I did have the phone fairly close to the head of the engine so that may be why it's so loud. With the hood closed you can barely hear it. Not saying it isn't bad though. Wish it was just your avg noisy honda lifters :(

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
lol hey dude im in oak forest, il which is only 30 miles south of chicago =/ we shoud meet up maybe with other integras

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
dude don't have you're car running with it sounding like that... You coulda thrown a bearing, but I cannot tell by the sound

lowazzteg

3rd Super Mario Bro
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for today. Just hoping it's a valve issue and not a rod or a spun rod bearing or something of that sort. I'm down for a meet up... Once I get this baby running again!

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Alright just hit me up or whatever.. hopefully when and if we get enough people my car will at least have 'decent' rims and an exhaust. I think the body is a lost cause haha, rust everywhere