Rescued a 2000 GSR, Fun Project Car

ZEROPTZERO

I recently picked up a 2000 GSR with 190k kilometres on it. It was a one-owner vehicle for much of its life, in really good condition, but it needed some TLC and some basic upgrades. I sold my 02 S2000 and was searching for a Type R but they are nearly impossible to find in my region. Even GS-R's are very hard to find and pretty rare, more rare than an S2000.

I went through and did all of the basic maintenance upgrades - motor oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, valve adjustment, power steering fluid, radiator fluid, clutch fluid, stainless brake lines, spark plugs, NGK wires, primary 02 sensor, front engine mounts, hood struts, and rear hatch struts. All new bulbs inside and out, new radio antenna, and new jdm type r front corner lights.

The suspension was a bit floaty so I put on some adjustable KYB shocks with H&R oe sport springs. 24mm rear sway bar with brace, upper front Type R strut bar, rear upper strut bar, trunk brace. The GSR blade rims were nice but I put on a set of Enkei RPF1's, I stuck to the 15 inch size as the rims were only 9 lbs each and I wanted the weight savings (about 7 lbs lighter than stock). I put on some 205 width Yokohama tires as the stock sizing just looked too thin for me.

The car has leather interior which is in excellent condition, I added a blox short shifter, jdm Honda shift knob, suede shift boot, and oem type r armrest. Interior oem carpeting looks almost brand new.

I never expected the motor to run so strong, very quiet and smooth. It came with a short ram intake which I ditched and went back to the oem intake, I modified the intake to suck air from the passenger wheel well like the type r does.

I just had a Mugen twin loop muffler installed on the factory mid-pipe. The sound is perfect (not too loud), torque and power is better at all rpms, it runs great. I'm going to put on a high flow cat and that will be it for this year.

The car has three spots of rust on the rear end, I grinded it smooth and it appears to be surface rust only. I stripped the interior panels and found rust on the rear inside panels by the rear seat areas. I grinded it down and sprayed the areas with rust converter, then primed with rust killer primer, and went crazy with rust proofing. I'm going to get a re-spray done with a type r front lower lip to be added. The plastic side rocker panels to be painted to match the body - vogue silver metallic. The factory sunroof frame was heavily rusted for some odd reason, so I picked up a mint sunroof panel from a used junker and swapped it in.

The car handles well, almost as well as my S2000. The ride is still very compliant, running the shocks on setting 2 out of 4. Very surprised by the responsiveness of the engine, not nearly as torque-less as I expected it to be. I had an older Civic SiR years back with a b16 and that engine was really torqueless, but the b18c is a nice balance between torque and top end.

I can't seem to load pics as they show up as being too large, I'll see if I can in the future, just wanted to stop by and say hello.

Last edited: