Royal Purple old wives tale.

Nick_C78

Don't need to watch a video. Let me guess it talks about how the oil has additives that swell gaskets and rubber seals? High mileage oils also have stronger detergents to prevent gunk.

Am I close to what that video talks about?

Murphy

Meat Master
Synthetic oil is thinner than conventional. So if you've been using conventional and switch to synthetic, you might have some oil leaks you didn't before.

Nick_C78

It can't be thinner. The thickness of the oil goes by the weight...not syn vs conventional. Engine clearances are designed to have a certain thickness of oil(yes this is calculated when measuring proper clearances). So if it says you need 10w 40 you damn sure better use 40 weight or else youll have metal on metal. Oil creates a film almost like a bushing between metal parts. If the oil is too thick the oil won't fit between the metal surfaces, too thin and itll get pushed aside and not be enough to prevent the surfaces from having contact.

The molecules for a 40 weight oil should be the same thickness regardless if its syn or conv...should.

Murphy

Meat Master
Viscosity is a completely different property than thickness of a liquid. Viscosity is how a liquid flows.

Murphy

Meat Master
Thickness is related to density. E.g. Mercury is a very dense (thick) metal but it's viscosity is comparable to water. Water and Mercury flow very similar, but because water is much less dense it will leak in systems where Mercury won't.

Nick_C78

Right viscosity is how easily it flows. I had some information that better explained it. I'll post it when I get home.

Nick_C78

Viscosity Measurement Methods

There are two most commonly used methods for testing and rating viscosity of oil:

Dynamic Viscosity is closely related to the “thickness” of an oil, and does not depend on the density of the sample. It is commonly expressed using the unit kg·m−1·s−1, or milliPascal seconds (mPa*s), also called centiPoise (cP). Water at 68°F (20°C) has a viscosity of about 1.0 cP. A dynamic viscosity test uses a controlled, measured sliding or rotating force to shear the liquid under test.

Kinematic Viscosity test results are affected by the density of the oil, and often use the acceleration of gravity or vibration as forces to shear the oil under test. The unit of measurement is millimeters2/second, also called centiStoke (cSt). Water has a density of 1 gram per cubic centimeter, and at 68°F (20°C) it has a viscosity of about 1.0 cSt.

The two different methods of testing and rating viscosity are examining the same viscosity characteristic of the liquid, but use a different applied force to move and shear the liquid, and differ only by the density of the liquid.
Translation between the two measurement systems can easily be done by the following operations.

Dynamic Viscosity (cP) / Density (g/mL) = Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) * Density (g/mL) = Dynamic Viscosity (cP)

One way to conceptualize the difference is to consider that the most common way to test kinematic viscosity has been the use of a timed orifice method, such as the Saybolt apparatus or Zahn cup. In the commonly used Zahn cup test, a cup with a calibrated hole in the bottom is filled to a reference line. The kinematic viscosity is determined by the time it takes for a known quantity of the liquid to run out of the hole. If a liquid of a similar measured dynamic viscosity but greater density is tested in the apparatus, it will show a lower kinematic viscosity, because its greater mass per unit volume pushes the liquid through the orifice at a greater rate.

Last edited:

Murphy

Meat Master
Oh haha awesome those are the two terms perfect. Really cool stuff thanks for posting it!