Screeching after brake pad and rotor installation

Christian

Earlier today I installed pads and rotors for my front brakes, and afterwards there was a loud screeching noise and grind coming from the brakes as I drove around. I put brake cleaner on both rotors while installing them. My guess is its maybe the brake pad clips grinding on top of the rotors, because I might of bent them while taking them off. Any thoughts?

Christian

Could be the dust shield. If it is the brake pad clips, would replacing them cause the noise to stop?

Ryan659

I doubt you need to replace anything. Just take off the wheels and turn it by hand and see what's rubbing.

Edit: if it's the clips, just take off the pads and bend them back

Last edited:

Christian

I did and it seemed like the clips were rubbing on the top of the rotor. Like i said, i think i bent the brake pad clips.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The clips happened to me once, didn't really make a screeching sound but they did make a grinding/ticking sound. Either replace the clips (they're like $5) or try and bend them back.
Another problem I had that caused a grinding/squealing sound was a shim that had come loose on the inside pad causing it to get stuck in the caliper and grinding on the axle. The sound would change when I would brake because the caliper would still push on part of the shim.