Seafoam in my automatic transmission?

Silver2

DB7 Driver
My '97 Teg's automatic transmission is going to need to go to the shop, but before I spend $800, I'm thinking about putting a ten dollar can of Seafoam Trans Tune in it and running it for a while and then changing the fluid.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Waste of time/money or go for it? I've had good luck with Seafoam in the gas tank.

My mech says there's a screen in Honda auto trannys that gets clogged up and messes up the transmission.

thanks.

SoundEfx

Honestly, from what I have heard about these trans, they are very very temperamental about what is used in them. You can't even use other auto trans fluid in them. Well, it's not recommended anyway.

But if you're going to rebuild it anyway, why not give it a chance.

Just be prepared to have it totally rebuilt if it destroys it.

Sammich

if you already planning ot replace it...why not try it..it may buy you time..worst case scenario..car gets parked a couple days before it

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I've never used their trans tune. From what I remember about the automatic tegs, you will need to remove the trans to completely drain it and the converter. It's not a turbo 350 with a trans pan and filter lol. If it's like their gas/oil treatment, you'll need to drain it after you've completed their instructions. But that's speculation.

Let's start with this: what is the car doing that's making you think you need to use the seafoam?

Silver2

DB7 Driver
When I floor it, it will rev before it catches and downshifts. That's in D-4. All other times, it shifts pretty well and If I put it in D3, there is no problem with WOTing it.

I've changed the fluid twice and that helped it. I might go for a 3rd fluid change. I don't want to risk trashing it with the flush. It seems like it has a lot of life left in it if cared for...but I want it working properly. May consider taking it to a tranny shop, or not.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
You could probably buy a low mileage engine+auto trans for the price of a rebuild from a shop.
True, I have been quoted $350 to $500 for good used plus $400 to install.

I checked today and the tranny is original to the car, a DB7. If this were a manual transmission, it would be a GS-R trans. Since it is automatic, I don't know if it is any different from an LS trans or not.

$800 would be hard to turn down, however.

Ganyon

My car is automatic and does the same thing in d4. Its pretty much normal. The clutches in the transmission are worn out from age and mileage and causes the transmission to slip before it downshifts. I use royal purple transmission fluid and it helps a lot.

also, you can do the fluid yourself. All you do is drain it and fill it back up with 3 quarts of fluid.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
Some info from my mechanic. He says the transmission has a screen in it that can't be cleaned without transmission removal. When it finally clogs up, the tranny doesn't function well.

Also, on the very last page of my owners manual (page X) it states:
"Automatic Transmission Fluid: Honda Premium Formula Automatic Transmissiion fluid or an equivalent DEXRON II type Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)"

Ganyon

Yes these transmissions have an internal filter that can only be cleaned/changed by removing the trans. Normally when it is clogged you'll know because once it gets warm and the filter gets clogged, the fluid won't make its way through and it'll seem like the transmission went bad. If its still driving and shifting normal, than I wouldn't worry about it.

Like I said try using royal purple trans fluid first and see how it shifts.

SoundEfx

Oh, ok.

If my transmission is ever torn apart, I would rather rebuild it than to just clean or replace a filter. Unless I am doing it myself.

OP, rebuild it. Spending all that money in labour to just hope and pray that cleaning the filter will fix it makes little sense to me.
Might as well tear it apart and rebuild it so that you know that you'll have a 'new' trans so to speak.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
I will change the fluid soon. I can get Honda ATF from amazon.com cheaper than I can get it from a dealer, even after paying for shipping. That's even cheaper than Royal Purple but I may try RP anyway. The trans shifts fine in normal driving.

I'm worried about the transmission cooler leaking water into the transmission. I'll certainly be looking for traces of moisture the next time the fluid is changed. Coolant level seems to be staying the same which is a good sign.