Should I get an intake manifold?

4doorwhore

I have a 94 ls with DC 4-1 header, full greddy exhaust and sr intake and was just wonderin what an intake manifold (skunk 2) would do for me. I've heard that you should upgrade the throttle body when doing this upgrade, but is it necessary? Also, with what I have done now, what should I do with fuel/spark?[/siz]

Baldy201

Are you just putting the IM on to feel some "mad gain yo"? Do you have a plan? Just slapping on parts just because you heard good things about is not good. Please do some research to see where that part puts you power band and what you want out of your engine. "Lego block building" ,adding parts on top of parts with out research, may hurt your engine. Loss in HP and torque because you have to air flow. I am not attacking you, I am just making a statement so that everyone doesnt fall in to the "Ricer" mentality.

Finally to answer your question, Yes an Intake Manifold will increase you horsepower. However you will most likely have a loss of torque in the low to mid range, which is where the LS shines. What you may want to do is take your stock IM and get it port matched. This will increase your HP higher up in the RPM's and keep your low to mid RPM's.

hyper98gsr

he has a point there. you want to research. but your goin in the right route imo. after you do your air your gonna have to work on fuel and spark. then get an air/fuel controller to get it all working properly. thats all your bolt-ons after that. then you can get into the good stuff. ie:nitrous, valvetrain upgrade, pistons, block and stuff.

4doorwhore

Are you just putting the IM on to feel some "mad gain yo"?
Is that condescending attitude needed, why dont you just answer the question baldy? Stop trying to be the big man on campus. I'm here for advice like everyone else. :shock:

Baldy201

If you read my whole post i did give you advice. Why dont you finish reading the post before you jump to conclusions.
Finally to answer your question, Yes an Intake Manifold will increase you horsepower. However you will most likely have a loss of torque in the low to mid range, which is where the LS shines. What you may want to do is take your stock IM and get it port matched. This will increase your HP higher up in the RPM's and keep your low to mid RPM's.
Also in my post i did say i was not attacking you but the whole "mod with out knowledge" philosophy. I see that you are new to this site, and i hope that you stay, but make sure that you finish what you started before you jump to conclusions.

hyper98gsr

how is it mod without knowledge? all he asked was if it was a good idea to get a t/b with his im. please lets keep this site a resourse for info. dont post if you dont want to give help.

just because someone asks for an opinion before he buys something dosn't make him/her any less a tuner than you.

Baldy201

Sorry if i offended any one didnt mean to. I guess i will just keep my trap shut from here on out when i have any advice or a comment. :cry:

4doorwhore

Thanks for the advice guys, and of course I finished reading the post before I " jumped to conclusions". I just asked a question and you did answer it effectively, in the second half. Thanks again 8)

hyper98gsr

i just installed my gsr skunk2 im and aem fuel rail. i had to advance the timeing a little. the gains are very noticeable. when the vtec kicks in it sounds like a monster. it feels much faster. i cant wait for my jg throttle body to get here.