Size Piping??

IntegraGSR

I have a GSR and im only planning to do bolt on upgrades for now and i wanted to know what exhaust piping size I should get 2.25" or 2.5" and let me know why. I want a quieter exhaust so just tell me what you think.

Baldy201

get 2.25. The reason is because if you go to big then you will actually lose power. 2.25 is good up to 200 whp. If you need more explination then i will give it to you just ask.

IntegraGSR

muffler???

i want to keep the stock muffler will that make a difference?? Or why is it better to get an aftermarket muffler??

hyper98gsr

i was thinking of doing the same thing, but i dont want to weld anything to the cat. i might just cut the pipe right before the muffler and weld some 2.25 pipe.

Baldy201

Re: muffler???

Originally posted by "IntegraGSR"

i want to keep the stock muffler will that make a difference?? Or why is it better to get an aftermarket muffler??
the reason that you want an aftermarket muffler is because that is where all of the restriction is. It is like a hose, you can get a large hose but if you make the opening small there is o benifit for haveing that larger hose. It is called and exhaust "system" for a reason, it all works together.

Originally posted by "hyper98gsr"

i was thinking of doing the same thing, but i dont want to weld anything to the cat. i might just cut the pipe right before the muffler and weld some 2.25 pipe.
just get some flanges welded on to the pipe and you will be set. no need to weld directly to the cat.

hyper98gsr

Re: muffler???

[/quote]
just get some flanges welded on to the pipe and you will be set. no need to weld directly to the cat.[/quote]

yea. that crossed my mind too.

the gsr and type r mufflers aren't too restrictive. i think if you install some clean 2.25 in piping, you'll get some gains. it wont be as much as say a greddy sp, but i am sure you will get some. alot of our restriction is in the small piping and all those welds. i agree, a different muffler will net good gains also, but not enough to risk noise tickets.

Baldy201

The GSR's have the same mufflers as an ls, gs or an rs. also the ITR pipes are 2.25" and the muffler is less restrictive then any stock integra muffler.

IntegraGSR

So the ITR muffler is not as restrictive but the GSR muffler is, so you think i should get an aftermarket muffler or no.

Baldy201

the ITR muffler is a cheaper alternative than getting an aftermarket muffler, but there will be some more gains in getting an aftermarket muffler. But the thing is that most aftermarket mufflers create more noise than the ITR muffler, with a few exceptions. So it all depends on if you want a free flowing exhaust or a quiet one, also a few exeptions.

these exceptions are the twin-loop or twin-pass muffler. these mufflers flow well and are quiet. but be prepared to pay a pretty penny for them. A full Hytech exhaust with twin loop muffler and Renault cat is $900.