Slow starting on my DB...starter replaced

Sammich

Ok well i have a Odyssey battery, as far as i know stock alternator, and as of yesterday, replaced reman'd starter.

My car has been starting slow for the last couple of weeks for no reason..i though for some reason something was draining my battery and it 'wierdly' was a result of the new USB i got in my car, but it's not. So i went to 2 different advance auto parts and had them test the battery/alt, both times alt came up showing good numbers and the odyssey battery showed (188/196 CCA..spec'd at 220 CCA) which i guess is ok, i'd rather see above 220 CCA.

So i had them test all 3...manager came outside and mentioned starter..i remember when my maxima had the slow starting problem, i kept driving it until it wouldnt start anymore as i had already pulled the alternator and had it bench tested (it was good) replaced the battery 3 times in it thinking it was a bad battery. So when it wouldnt start anymore, i pulled the starter, had them bench test it, turns out the starter was weak.

So this is what i thought the issue was, replaced the starter yesterday, same issue. The car starts slow every single time..even if i run around at high rpms for a few minutes or run a hr up the road at highway speeds and turn it right back over, it'll start slow. any ideas?

Jayteg

So your voltage is good and your battery is staying charged. Maybe your timing might be off a bit or time for a new timing belt. I can't really think what else would cause a slow start besides it being cold outside.

Sammich

i've had my timing belt and all done for about 2 months now...you really think all of a sudden this would happen? i was at the car wash 2 wks ago washing my car w/ my music going like usual, went in to start the car and it wouldnt start...jumped it and it fired right up....the battery is less than a year old/installed

Jayteg

Well lets see, you might have something pulling juice somewhere when the cars off.

NastyDB8

So you have a battery that's failry new, new starter and new alternator.... and you still have slow start? Are you throwing any CEL codes? I would check your distributor could be coil going bad...have you replaced cap and rotor on the distributor? How about spark plugs? spark plug wires try checking those as well maybe just something simple as a loose plug or bad connection somewhere... let us know unless you have done all these things already. Just some suggestions I'm throwing out there for you.

Sammich

no new alternator, that's still 'good' according to the test. cap/rotor/dizzy are pretty new as well since i had to replace that a little while ago..the spark plugs and wires are new..full tune up aside from fuel and air filter. i havent checked codes

dizzy however is from advance auto..

NastyDB8

From personal experience always stick to OEM dizzy and nothing made anywhere else. Solves alot of unecessary headaches down the road.

Sammich

paying $400 for an imaginary dizzy that honda doesnt carry anymore kind of isnt an option really...

NastyDB8

CL you can find plenty of good reliable used OEM dizzys... I'm using one now and I only paid $100 bucks. GL with solving your problem.

Sammich

not around here.

yesterday leaving work, wouldnt start up...got a jump, fired right up of course, thinking bad connection, i got some battery terminals and redid all of that, it's damn near worse. put my brother's battery up there to test it out and see how it'd start....FIRED RIGHT UP!!!! bought a jump box, had to jump it this morning, got to work (30 minute or so drive at highway speeds of 70mph+) parked it, turned it off and attempted to restart it...NOTHING!!!

This Odyssey battery has me fukin pissed to say the least right now. the company will know my disdain today.

Last edited:

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Those things are tiny. Of course they're going to struggle to start the car when it's cold; my POS Wal-Mart battery has more than double the cold-crank amps of that battery and it sounds half dead when I start it.