Soldering Iron

Sammich

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm mainly purchasing it to solder my headlight wires together since Pssword JDM is a pussy ass company that cant make a worthy set of conversion headlights that dont go bad...smfh. In essence something that is portable i should say.

I saw one in advance auto parts yesterday that is supported by butane and hand held for like $30 that was also like a blow torch and something else w/ a different end on it

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Soldering iron with butane is ur best bet for cordless apps.

I personally used a soldering GUN, corded effective and cheap.

It has a lot more power than the regular irons. I never used a butane version.

All I use is Cheapo autozone shit but never had a problem.

osiris19

I use an $8 radioshit 20W soldering iron. Works perfectly fine. I took electronics for four years in high school. As long as it gets hot enough to melt the solder and make a good connection, you're solid. I never have issues with my wiring. I don't believe in quick connects or butt connectors unless absolutely necessary. I solder and electrical tape everything. You should be good with an auto zone iron. Don't need a real fancy one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Sammich

Soldering iron with butane is ur best bet for cordless apps.

I personally used a soldering GUN, corded effective and cheap.

It has a lot more power than the regular irons. I never used a butane version.

All I use is Cheapo autozone s*** but never had a problem.
thanks man...just needed confirmation...i hope it works out as well as planned i want to get my headlight wiring done nicely so i can tuck it away and it look professional

I use an $8 radios*** 20W soldering iron. Works perfectly fine. I took electronics for four years in high school. As long as it gets hot enough to melt the solder and make a good connection, you're solid. I never have issues with my wiring. I don't believe in quick connects or butt connectors unless absolutely necessary. I solder and electrical tape everything. You should be good with an auto zone iron. Don't need a real fancy one.

yea i'm in a tight spot so i bought some butt connectors for right now just to get me by so i could have headlights, i just wanted to make sure what i was looking at was good enough for what i had going on. thanks

osiris19

Butt connectors, I just prefer a solid connection with solder.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Solder gun is better than a Torch. I bought a torch lighter and the insulation would melt before the wire got hot enough for the solder to melt. Never doing torch again.

Also, with wiring, use silver solder over regular solder. All I remember is that silver solder has a lower melting temp over regular solder. I cant remember what the other reason is. Im sure Oso Sirius can help you with that answer

Sammich

I pretty much get the soldering process...but i've never owned/purchased one, i always used someone elses, hence why i was asking if the one from advance was good enough w/ the butane can

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
i was there. thinking torch would be better than a soldering iron. take if from my experience, its messy. also, with that butane torch, you will need to prop it so it doesn't roll or catch anything on fire. unless it has a trigger, which the one i saw at harborfreight didn't have a trigger.

osiris19

Use 60/40 rosin core solder. Pretty much standard with electronics. Soldering guns provide a ton of heat but aren't necessary for automotive wiring. Like I said, a cheapo iron does fine. I've never heard of people using a torch to solder. I use a torch to heat nuts up.

Sammich

i was there. thinking torch would be better than a soldering iron. take if from my experience, its messy. also, with that butane torch, you will need to prop it so it doesn't roll or catch anything on fire. unless it has a trigger, which the one i saw at harborfreight didn't have a trigger.
WHAT I SAW IN THE PARTS STORE

HAD A TORCH ACCESSORY

SOLDERING ACCESSORY

AND ANOTHER ACCESSORY.....

I WASN'T LOOKING AT A TORCH TO SOLDER WITH.

osiris19 said:
Use 60/40 rosin core solder. Pretty much standard with electronics. Soldering guns provide a ton of heat but aren't necessary for automotive wiring. Like I said, a cheapo iron does fine. I've never heard of people using a torch to solder. I use a torch to heat nuts up.
lol i dont know how to use a torch to solder, just sounds dumb and a nuisance. but thanks...if i get back into r/c a decent soldering gun would be great..so that's kind of what i'm thinking about as well..i dont know yet though.