steering rack

cashtango25

supp guys,
so tha other day i was wondering whats wrong with my car it has a lot play in tha steering area so i check all my bushing 2 my sway bar n i checked my tie rods n theres no play in those but i found out thats its my steering rack n my ? is: Am i able 2 adjust any thing or do i have 2 just replace my steering rack n if so what newer car can i get it off of so im able 2 go 2 tha junk yard n rip it off n set it up in my da9? 1990

emd513

i dont think it can be adjusted. you might be better off just getting a reman from a local parts store

j13

Keep It Clean
The rach boots on the side of the tie rods busted, causing oil and dirt to mix wearing away at the seals and the rack internaly.

If the rack is leaking and its too far gone, you'll need to drop the rack and instal a better one. Its about a 3hr job.

You can get a fully rebult OEM rack at autozone for cheap.

cashtango25

nothing is leakin @ all from anywhere but isn't tha inner tie rods adjustable from where tha steering rack starts

j13

Keep It Clean
Huh?
You should read more before giving advice.
Huh?
He's asking if the rods that from the rack are adjustable. Meaning inside the rack. He can adjust the tie-rods though

j13

Keep It Clean
so if i where 2 get an alignment will that fix tha play that i have in my steering
Getting an alignment is not going to get rid of the play.

You said you checked the tie-rods and their wasn't anyplay between the tie-rod and the spindle.

Check if your Rack boots are busted.

emd513

alignment is only going to straighten up your tires. it does nothing for wobbling. thats either a bearing, bad pivot points or worn out rack. double check everything and its likely that you might end up answering your question. best if you have a friend help u and jack up the car and set it on jack stands so u can move the wheels freely.