Steering Wheel Stiff

Bryn1324

So I just replaced the power steering pump in my 1997 integra and I put new power steering fluid in it. I have been driving it and the steering wheel will at times be really easy to turn and then it will be really stiff. Would my power steering pump be faulty or could there be any other problem as to why the power steering would work and then not work... Help please!!:(

Bryn1324

How would I get air out of the system though? I have been turning the steering wheel all the way one way and then the other.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
That sounds like the proper procedure so i dont know. lol Maybe you do have a problem with the pump or something else.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Are you using the right fluid. I thought honda fluid was different. Kinda like how mazda uses ATF instead of power steering fluid.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Also make sure your belt tension is good, it sounds like the belt may be slipping on the pulley.

This is more likely the culprit

Not too tight though, look online to see how much deflection you need, prob an inch to half inch when you push down in the center.

Last edited:

Bryn1324

I am using the right power steering fluid and the belt tension is fine. I am thinking it is the resevoir that might be clogged or the is something that is clogging up one of the hoses. I don't believe that it is the return hose but it might be the hose going to the rack and pinion because fluid is coming out of the resevoir.