Thinking about going turbo

Dc_kid

So I have a 2000 integra all stock. I was thinking about buying a eBay turbo kit and just upgrading the turbo charger. So basically was buying the kit to get the main essentials need to boost the car and upgrade some of the important parts. Let me know what u guys think. Good /bad and if I do what else should I look into upgrading In those kits. I didn't want to spend 1600 was looking at more like 9-1000 just for a complete kit after I bought the upgrades as well. I'm probably gonna rebuild motor and add cams and pistons later

Last edited:

cpeehler7

Banned
From what I've read before, so don't take my word for it. Just trying to save you some trashing haha.

Look at a junkyard to find a turbo off an old Eclipse. Also the ducting and intercooler etc from the ebay kit is junk. You probably want to avoid it. Going turbo on a budget isn't the best bet, you have to set aside money for a tune as well. Unless you want to blow the motor up. If you piece it together, and know someone who can tune, you may be able to do it on budget.

SoundEfx

Listen to those wise men speak.

Tuning alone will kill that budget of yours and the only thing ebay you can 'safely' buy are the tubing to save some money.

Don't forget that you'll also need injectors, fuel pump...etc....

Save up some more and buy quality parts. It will save you alot of money in the long run.

Spitfire8o5

Track Junkie
I find it amazing that the first thing someone wants to do to a stock car is turbo it. But to each his own. Boost likes to destroy things. You're going to need some ARP head studs to put up against the extra pressure. As well as the extra goodies FX was talking about. Then tap you're oil pan. And work out who is going to tune it and what heat range sparkers you have to end up using. It's not as easy as it sounds. You have to get a Map Sensor that puts up with how much you're planning to boost and cheaper programs like chrome don't give you what you want out of a tune. Systems like s300 with boost options and AEM EMS are far for capable of making it nicely drivable/little more reliable/and a few maps that will swap over depending on driving conditions. That chrome doesn't offer. Also expect leaks and bad things happening monthly lol

Dc_kid

Not on a budget I just didn't want to spend 1600 on a kit if I could avoid it. That 1000 was just for the kit alone not including tuning and labor. I have already price cams, pistons and rods, and fuel pump. Was just trying to see if I could save some money to put towards something else

Last edited:

PioneerLS

Youll probably want suspension before you put down more power. I have a friend with a 12 second boosted accord on stock suspension and its the jankiest scariest shit you've ever drove.

Dc_kid

So you want to go turbo but you don't want to spend a lot of money? Hmmm good luck!
Where did u get that I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I know it's gonna cost. This post is about buying the it only not everything.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The only way to do a cheap turbo kit is to source oem spec parts from turbo cars and rig everything to work. You spend what money is left to get the turbo rebuilt, a manifold, and tuning. Or you can hope to stumble upon a great deal on used parts. Anything you try to buy new thats cheap will just cause you headaches, even simple stuff like intercooler pipings.

If you don't know what you're doing and what you need, it makes it super hard. My opinion is: "If you want to build a turbo car, you should first own a turbo car." Once you know your way around the system it will make things a lot easier.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Agreed, you need to know what you are really doing to go turbo cheaply without buying junk parts. That means used parts that are high quality. The kits that you speak of dont get you much. The turbo, obviously is junk. The manifolds are junk and crack. So you want to upgrade those. The intercoolers arent the best but OK for a beginner. The piping is generic. You can buy just intercooler piping kits, couplers and clamps. So basically the kits are a waste of money if you plan to upgrade the too biggest/crappiest parts.

Dc_kid

I figured I would at least be able to use the piping at least and upgrade manifold, turbo and intercooler.