This is for all the B non-vtec guys = DYNO

Charlie Moua15

First of all I wanted to give thanks to the following people:

Tou - P.R.E
Keep in mind I only have 6 people who I completely trust with my friendship, cars & money and Tou is one of them. I’ve known him & his younger brothers since Jr. High. Thanks for walking me through this engine build and sharing your knowledge.

Jordan – Jordantuned.com
Of also one of the 6 friends who I trust & care about. I’ve known for 8yrs. He’s always has my back making sure I don’t chew off more than I can handle when it comes to Hondas.

Pat – R.D.R
Same as above, one of the guys that I met 8yrs ago which we just seemed to connect well.
He’s always coached me along the way just like tou & Jordan. Pat is probably the best “teacher” I now when it comes to drawing things out & explaining how things works in simple terms. I’m still waiting for him to jump back in the game when he’s ready.

Chris & MAP
MAP provided the best rock bottom pricing and had flexible dyno hours.
Buy doing this, it helped us greatly with the our B20 rebuild goals & data collecting.

Most importantly, Chris does care about the local honda guys. He's genuinely ask good questions about Honda stuff he didn't know & chatted with the guys who came out to watch/support.

This is my brother, Alex’s motor car which was rebuilt after his jdm b20b I swapped in spun a bearing only after 8 months of heavy abuse from Alex. I use to have a build thread on mnhondas but I didn’t see any benefit to it due to fear of theft.

Nonetheless, I still wanted to show what can be accomplished with simple parts and knowledge. Before you ask my why I didn’t do B20V, I’ll just say because my little brother doesn’t deserve it yet. He needs to learn to appreciate how to make power before I just hand it over to him.

The plan was 2stage build:
1st stage is B20 rebuild with cams 155-160whp
2nd stage will be small turbo to hit 270-280whp = coming end of 2012

Here is the break down of general parts used:

JDM B20B 8.8:1cr (84x89)
ACL race bearings mains & rods ***MAP***
ARP rod bolts *** MAP***
ARP head studs *** MAP***

JDM B20B P75 head
Milled head - P.R.E spec to raise compression from 8.8 to 9.7cr
RDR “Pat” race spec 5 angle valve job (no porting)
Delta 272 cams
Rocketmotorsports spark plugs
Rocketmotorsports snap-fit valve springs

Stock seats & retainers
Ebay cam gears
Blox intake manifold & B18a1 58mm throttle body
Ebay Tri-Y replica header “small tube” 2.5” collector
2.20” crush bent exhaust piping

Baseline pull vs. last pull
Jordan came over 9pm Wednesday to provide base map & 20mins of street tuning. We put it through a few hours of driving & made sure he engine sealed up well 215psi across the board.

Alex’s B20b vs. jdm B16a2 (decent header, intake, exhaust & tuned)
This is why I dislike b16 for NA. Most people pay $1900-2200 for a jdm b16 swap + money for bolt ons and still doesn't have a usable powerband. IMHO I'd only build a B16a NA as a practice car lapping/drag or teaching my sons how to drive cause those suckers never seem to die or hardly spin bearings.

Alex’s B20b vs. my b18c1 gsr
This is back during 2009 MAP dyno day in the summer.
GSR with skunk2 IM, gsr tb, hondata gasket, stock header, 60mm rsr full exhast. Back when we swapped in the BONE STOCK B20B (no header) 6500rpm redline, Alex's DA B20 2550lbs still killed my EF Si GSR 2300lbs in any racing conditon up to about 80-85mph in 4th. I know this new motor would certainly kill most GSR swaped civic up to 100mph.

The final results speak for themselves.
You don't need a lot of money or fancy parts to make good power.
Don't chase other people, do reasearch, ask good questions and be realistic about what you can do financially & I promise MAP will help you out with best pricing on parts.

I'm no expert or not saying this is the only way to build it.
I'm just sharing you what we've done and you can take what you want from it.

I'm very pleased with the results & we were able to stay within budget.
This should be the standard of what budget NA b-nonvtec motors build should comprise of. Too many times I see people waste money on the wrong parts.

Considering b20b dyno at 128-130whp and 120tq
We spent
$160 on cams
$75 cam gears
$165 valvesprings
$170 header
$80 used block intake manifold

$650 in aftermarket parts for gains 25whp gains and 10-12tq is money well spent.

Cheers - Charlie Moua

Charlie Moua15

here are some pictures of the build

reason for the tear down..... spun oem bearing cause rod bolt was loose

Ebay

Milled

Honed stock rods

delta 272

RMS - snap fit to oem retainers

Charlie Moua15

it's a ebay tri-y replica header
the only header this doesn't beat out is TODA, HYTECH, SMSP, BISI, .... but hey it's $170 shipped so i'm not mad.
bang for buck your getting a good deal.

1qikteg

What are you running as far as exhaust? And does MAP have a website to purchase parts?

Charlie Moua15

What are you running as far as exhaust? And does MAP have a website to purchase parts?
the exhaust is just crush bent 2.2" piping from some muffler shop.
That's how my kid brother bought the car. lol...

so i know there's power to be gained with a few more modes.

http://www.maperformance.com/
staff of 30 full time people
recently they've switch IT guys so the web page might be glitchy..
Also they are mainly DSM, STI, mopar, nissian .... and hondas....

their honda client base pales in comparrision to their evo/sti market, but they are coming around.

If you do need something just PM me if you don't get fast response from them.
Charlie Moua

1qikteg

sounds good thanks man im going to check the website out right now.

the exhaust is just crush bent 2.2" piping from some muffler shop.
That's how my kid brother bought the car. lol...

so i know there's power to be gained with a few more modes.

http://www.maperformance.com/
staff of 30 full time people
recently they've switch IT guys so the web page might be glitchy..
Also they are mainly DSM, STI, mopar, nissian .... and hondas....

their honda client base pales in comparrision to their evo/sti market, but they are coming around.

If you do need something just PM me if you don't get fast response from them.
Charlie Moua