TINT. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

ben.s

Back window only.

Well have attempted it 4 times now tired of ordering damn tint.

1. I have tried several methods.
a. Baby powder
b. Dryer sheets
c. Soap

2. The tint never wants to hook on the sides.

3. It never stays formed. (As soon as heat touches the flattened area, it instantly bubbles back out.)

3a. Because of this I try applying more heat, either doesn't work or I melt the stupid stuff.

4. If it's not one or all of the above, I end up with a perma-crease somewhere.

Pretty fed up with it, I'd rather not hear "take it to a professional" because that's not what I'm asking (although there will still be at least one of you). I will never learn if I go that route.

Anyways, suggestions please. This is the last thing my car needs to make it pretty. (;

Last edited:

96LSteg

Jemel
You need to use windex.

- Soak glass with windex
- lay tint on window
- Cut shape of window
- Spray inside of window where tint will be permanently
- peal plastic off of tint
- spray more windex on window
- put sticky side of tint to window
- Use debit card to sqeegy windex out (be careful)
- Once all of windex is out, don't roll windows down for 24-48 hrs. allow glue to cure

ben.s

Edited.

Forgot to mention this is only about my back window and I'm referring to the shrinking step.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Delicate art, pay someone to do it right.

Ganyon

Heres how my tint guy taught me. Do it just like explained above but instead of windex we use soapy water. Now, once you apply the tint, squeegee the water out and if you have any bubbles, push them into the rear defrost lines. It hides the bubles and the tint sticks. Also, the tint wont stick to the top 3-4 inches of the window where the dots are, if you have a hatch.

Nick_C78

What are you doing wrong? Well, you went wrong the moment you tried doing it yourself. Labor fee for tint install is like nothing. 100-150 for all 5 windows. Why bother doing it yourself. Sorry to hate, usually I am all for DIY

randomhobo

automagic user
What are you doing wrong? Well, you went wrong the moment you tried doing it yourself. Labor fee for tint install is like nothing. 100-150 for all 5 windows. Why bother doing it yourself. Sorry to hate, usually I am all for DIY
I'm with you completely, Integra cost me $125 complete tint and my Civic was $150. Each took about 1.5hrs to have a professional do it, used the same guy both times.

ben.s

Well thanks for the replies. Going to pay a guy $40 to do the back, sides are already cut and easy as hell so I will be taking care of it. Ganyon yes it's a hatch and thank you for actually answering my question as I asked. To everyone else, not what I wanted but the replies are still appreciated.

Local

goto target & buy a $30 fabric steamer. take that shit home and steam the windows, itll come right off & damage nothing. goo b gone for any residual residue

R13

The other asshole
A hair dryer or heat gun will also remove tint without making a mess.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
goto target & buy a $30 fabric steamer. take that s*** home and steam the windows, itll come right off & damage nothing. goo b gone for any residual residue
Yea that's what I use. Heat gun can crack the glass and it will ruin the rear defroster lines.

R13

The other asshole
Everyone has a hair dryer though.

Just pull with light but firm pressure as you run the dryer back & forth, As it heats up it will pull away.