Track Day Check List

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
This thread is to help you get on the track, be safe and avoid any foreseeable mishaps. The information in this thread should be taken with a grain of salt, it is in no way going to prevent 100% of incidents and this is taken from driver experiences. We are in no way responsible for your mishaps.

So its your first day going to a HPDE track event at a circuit. These are some things that you should check and bring with you to the track.

Technical/Mechanical Check List
  • Tire wear: Above wear markers
  • Lug nuts, all present and accounted for! (steel is better than aluminum) Torque these guys!
  • No hub caps, or center caps
  • Check wheels for structural damage (bends or cracks)
  • At least 1/2 pad life (stock) 10mm racing pad
  • Brake Rotors: no cracks
  • Brake fluid (a good DOT 4 ie Motul or ATE)
  • Crack free brake lines
  • Working brake lights
  • Factory or after market tow hooks present
  • Minimum steering play
  • Check suspension bushings and ball joints
  • check axle torque
  • fluid levels (brake, clutch, oil, coolant)
  • NO major mechanical flaws ie. dont track if youre misfireing
Safety Check List
  • Good 3 4 or 5 point seat belt*
  • Good headrest
  • Secure doors and windows
  • Convertables must pass broomstick test**
  • Glass headlights taped up
  • Helmet meeting requirements of club
* 4 point harnesses must be ANTI ASM unless racing club forbids use of 4 point
** top of driver's head with helmet must be width of broom stick lower than roll bar.

Important things to bring
  • Extra Oil
  • Extra Coolant
  • Extra Parts
  • Helmet
  • Water
  • Snacks

Nick_C78

The most important thing to bring with you is a good attitude. It is all about having fun. People are there to help you as well. Don't forget to bring your balls too, because without them you will be slow. :p

R13

The other asshole
Nice write up! :thumbs up, I may run this on my teg soon just for the hell of it.

Tell us more about this "Broomstick test" lol, Sounds interesting.

Nick_C78

A broom stick is placed on top of your windshield and roll bar. Your head must not be above the broomstick. Basically it is saying that your head can't be sticking above your roll bar, because then the roll bar is useless and you would get smashed.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You should also note that you can't have anything rolling around in the car, anything that's not securely mounted must be removed, and everyplace I've been makes you remove your floor mats.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You should also note that you can't have anything rolling around in the car, anything that's not securely mounted must be removed, and everyplace I've been makes you remove your floor mats.
ill add that to the list. I usually just race with everything in the trunk of the NC when i auto x LOL!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
A broom stick is placed on top of your windshield and roll bar. Your head must not be above the broomstick. Basically it is saying that your head can't be sticking above your roll bar, because then the roll bar is useless and you would get smashed.
Broom stick test is not applicable to integras. Its only really used for convertibles.

Nick_C78

Here is a safety tech form from speedventures:http://www.speedventures.com/events/tech.pdf

Here is another list from their site:
Track Checklist
Note: Many of these things don't apply to a person in a street car, so don't worry about it if you don't have a neck brace, for instance.
Required
• Helmet! - a very bad (and easy) thing to forget
• Tech form - Important
• Car Numbers – required on both sides of the car and rear, a minimum of eight inches high (we will have racer’s tape available at the track for this purpose)
• Cotton or Nomex clothing ONLY. No leather or synthetics allowed.

Highly Recommended (not strictly required)
• Tow hook installed or tow point established
• Driving Suit or long sleeve cotton shirt and cotton pants (although we allow short sleeve shirts and shorts, it is highly discouraged and potentially harmful in the case of an accident)
• Fire Extinguisher
• Extra Brake pads
• Brake fluid
• Drinking Water (Speed Ventures provides water but just in case we run out…)
• Engine Oil - bring a quart or two, just in case
• Hat - for Sun
• Sunglasses
• Sun Screen
• Folding chair

Optional
• Duct tape
• Distilled Water - Radiator
• EZ-UP Canopy - Ideally there would be one for every 4 cars or so, because the sun can be brutal. Hopefully everyone who has one will bring one (and it makes you very popular too).
• Windex - You will kill many bugs on your way to the track.
• Brake Bleeder line
• Racing Neck Brace
• Racing shoes
• Camera
• Hose Clamps
• Jack
• Jack stands
• Jumper Cables
• Service manual
• Torque wrench
• Other tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers...)
• Grease
• Hand Soap
• Ice chest
• Map/directions/phone number of hotel
• Map/directions/phone number of track
• Paper Towels
• Rags
• Run Flat aerosol cans
• Tie Wraps
• Stopwatch
• Race tires
• Spare tire - you never know
• Tire pump
• Tire pressure gauge
• Tire pyrometer
• Flashlight
• Funnel for oil
• Gloves – disposable

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Also, for the less mechanically inclined a Haynes manual or something similar. A great attitude and a willingness to learn. You think youre a good driver on the street but on track its a different story.

A friend of mine is totally a competant driver on the street and drag strip and even touge. But once he went to button, it was another story and he started to realize that theres a lot more to driving on track than it seems.

I was in this group on FB and someone was saying how their dizzy broke and they were s*** out of luck, because 1, they didnt bring an extra dizzy and 2, he didnt know how to change it. Distributors go out easily on track. The trigger wheel doesnt like being old and the bearigs dont like to be spun to 9k for ever.

I also think dopematic has the best attitude. fucked up his car and just said " shit happens" also skylinecx.