Tranny Swap or Beefed Up Torque Converter?

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
This fag does seem to know what he's talking about most the time
If a rocket scientist explained how the space shuttle worked to club integra members, they would tell him hes an idiot because they only are smart enough to know that it goes up by having fire shoot out the back, not why or how it works. I cant help it if most of the member base has iq's under 100 and trying to explain how things work the right way just goes over their heads because it didnt come out of a import tuner magazine.

Charleetuner

OH... K. Excuse me guys, but does anyone know how much it might cost to rebuild and/or replace the automatic transmission as apposed to swapping to a manual? Spawne, you seem quite knowledgeable; can you tell me something of a ballpark figure I could use for reference cause I'm not trying to jacked by the transmission guy. The guy at the transmission shop here said to do a swap I'd be looking at $8000 - $9000 so I knew he didn't knot what he was talking about.

Teggy64

Got vtec?
8 or 9k is rediculasly overpriced. You're likley looking at a 2-3k job. Save some $ by gathering used parts yourself. Or better yet if you have a friend who knows about trannies have him help you do the swap yourselves.

Last edited:

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
OH... K. Excuse me guys, but does anyone know how much it might cost to rebuild and/or replace the automatic transmission as apposed to swapping to a manual? Spawne, you seem quite knowledgeable; can you tell me something of a ballpark figure I could use for reference cause I'm not trying to jacked by the transmission guy. The guy at the transmission shop here said to do a swap I'd be looking at $8000 - $9000 so I knew he didn't knot what he was talking about.
For a typical OEM rebuild, your looking at between 800-1200 dollars, for a performance build your looking at between 1500-2200 dollars. Retail price for my performance built trans was 2150 + 320 shipped for the custom racing converter.

Charleetuner

8 or 9k is rediculasly overpriced. You're likley looking at a 2-3k job. Save some $ by gathering used parts yourself. Or better yet if you have a friend who knows about trannies have him help you do the swap yourselves.
:thumbs up

I take it an OEM rebuild would probably fail under a built motor or FI system, am I right? If so, it would follow that I'd probably be better off going with the 5 speed. I'm not going to be doing anymore engine work for at least another 6 or 8 months as I need to start on the brakes and suspension, but I'll probably go ahead and start collecting parts.

Spawne, I gotta give you respect on your knowledge and experience. You sure make it a tough decision in light of what you have done with yours. Given the possibilities its still tempting to give the rebuilt auto a shot.

Last edited:

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Ultimately, it depends on the horsepower. I wouldn't say that it's more prone to failure then a manual transmission, its just the lack of an aftermarket for the automatic makes it difficult to build to withstand high horsepower. You wouldnt take a bone stock 5spd and hook it up to a 400-500hp turbo b series and expect it to last long either, however there are solutions for that, upgraded LSD's, gears, syncros, clutch, etc. The automatic has nothing, everything has to be done custom and from scratch, and often times its hard to find people who are credible and have the experience to do those modifications. I would say that if your planning to keep it under 300hp, an OEM rebuild, and a beefier TC would take you places for the time being, again the issue is the electronics. Im gonna go out on a limb and say your transmission is an SX4A. I appreciate the respect though really, im so jaded from constantly being shit talked just for owning an auto, regardless of the amount of legitimate work I put into it.

Charleetuner

Ultimately, it depends on the horsepower. I wouldn't say that it's more prone to failure then a manual transmission, its just the lack of an aftermarket for the automatic makes it difficult to build to withstand high horsepower. You wouldnt take a bone stock 5spd and hook it up to a 400-500hp turbo b series and expect it to last long either, however there are solutions for that, upgraded LSD's, gears, syncros, clutch, etc. The automatic has nothing, everything has to be done custom and from scratch, and often times its hard to find people who are credible and have the experience to do those modifications. I would say that if your planning to keep it under 300hp, an OEM rebuild, and a beefier TC would take you places for the time being, again the issue is the electronics. Im gonna go out on a limb and say your transmission is an SX4A. I appreciate the respect though really, im so jaded from constantly being s*** talked just for owning an auto, regardless of the amount of legitimate work I put into it.
:like: