Transmission Oil Leak, Help me pl0x guise :(

Boxy

Hey everyone,

Soooo I've had my teggy for about 2 months now (got her April 9th). She's got 171,000 KMs (about 110-115k miles). Anyways, she's got her original auto trans on there. '00 LS with stock B18b and all.

To the point: Recently I've been noticing oil leaks over my driveway and in my garage. Nothing too serious up until now: I came back from the grocery store, parked her in the garage and went to my room. Was looking out the window when I noticed a nice little dot pattern on my driveway. It was transmission oil (its not the brownish colour of the engine oil). There's no noticeable difference in the transmission oil level, so what the hell is going on? I can't find the leak anywhere, what do I do!?

If it helps, the tranny is a little rough on cold starts. The car idles at around 1.5-1.8k RPMs when cold, and if I shift into gear the car literally "kicks into gear." You can feel the car jerk a half second after shifting.

Any ideas? Much appreciated guys.

mjones73

There's a number of places it could be leaking, you need to clean off any oil on the trans now and look for fresh leaks...

Surferman

There's a number of places it could be leaking, you need to clean off any oil on the trans now and look for fresh leaks...
x2 its probally got a small slow leak. jack it up a lil to see were its commin from and keep checking oil level when you ride out

Boxy

x2 its probally got a small slow leak. jack it up a lil to see were its commin from and keep checking oil level when you ride out
I check the oil level basically everyday, it doesn't really change as far as I can tell.

Also, how would I clean the tranny, it's mounted all the way at the bottom on the passenger side (idk if its like that for all teggys) it's kind of hard to see anything down there even in day light. I'll put it up on jacks later today, its exam week for me so I'm a little busy with that stuff :p

But thanks, I'll check and get back to you.

Boxy

Oh and here's a picture of the leak for one night:

Just the one with the arrow to it is what drops over one night. Put a size 10 shoe next to it for comparison. It's on the backside of bubble wrap and it didn't bleed through if that helps.

Army74D

gtavila_
Not sure if it's the same for Auto Tranny, but my first thought would be to check the seal of the drain plug..

Use a 3/8 ratchet.
Anything other than that, I would assume it's time to replace any gaskets/ seals..
Or the worst, a small crack somewhere.

Boxy

Not sure if it's the same for Auto Tranny, but my first thought would be to check the seal of the drain plug..

Use a 3/8 ratchet.
Anything other than that, I would assume it's time to replace any gaskets/ seals..
Or the worst, a small crack somewhere.
Oh thats what you meant by the drain plug! :p
I'll check it out once my dad gets home (idk where he keeps the jacks and stuff).
How do you remove the black panel in the wheel well to access that though? Or is it straightforward and I'll know when I see it?

Army74D

gtavila_
The splash guards in the wheel well don't need to come off.
But everything is pretty straight forward.
All you need is the 3/8 ratchet for the drain plug and maybe a phillips head screwdriver to loosen/ remove any plastics in the way.

I would also recommend what's already been stated above; clean off the tranny and look to see where the fresh oil is coming from.