Tree's DC4

treeafodo

Austin
It's been raining all day, everyday so I unfortunately have not gotten much done to the car. I've been cleaning the engine bay whenever it's dry outside. The oil spray is a huge pain to scrub off. I'm hoping that it stops raining by the time I finish work today so I can put some work in and update this thread .

Although yesterday I did get the emissions test done in preparation for getting her on the road.

treeafodo

Austin
The bay is still really dirty, especially the firewall, but it's already made a huge improvement.
When I bought it:

Today:

treeafodo

Austin
More boring updates. Something more exciting will happen soon.
Yesterday morning I started to sand the wiper arms, battery tie down, and a few other hangers in the bay to "freshen" it up. I needed to get a can of silver paint as well as a headlight bulb to replace a burnt out lowbeam. I went to my work get those.

Old vs New.

Starting out with a bunch of worn out, rusty looking bits.

After sanding was complete I set up a little spot in the garage to paint and hang the wiper arms.

I let them sit over night to dry, then after work today I went out to reinstall everything.

I am very pleased with how the wiper arms turned out. :)

Edit: oh yeah, I also got new wiper blades to replace the ugly, ripped ones that were previously installed.

Last edited:

osiris19

Come clean my bay haha. You got a solid deal man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ganyon

Its looking good. I need to do my wiper arms. May I suggest doing a rear wiper delete. You can use the plug in the firewall right behind the battery.

treeafodo

Austin
Its looking good. I need to do my wiper arms. May I suggest doing a rear wiper delete. You can use the plug in the firewall right behind the battery.
It's such an easy job that makes a big difference to the appearance of the car.

A wiper delete is one of the first things on my list. I have a small leak in the hatch when it rains very hard, and I'm hoping it's because of the broken wiper arm. It looks like it's not as flush as it should be. I've looked into a few different ways of doing it. I haven't gotten a clear answer on this yet, but if I use that plug you mentioned is the fit tight enough, or do I need caulking? I've heard both and I want to end this leak so I can paint the interior.

Ganyon

I used the plug behind the battery, but I got a new one off ebay and I popped it in. I put like a smudge of clear silicon on the inside just for some security, but honestly it wasn't even enough to make a seal. The plug seals nicely by itself.

treeafodo

Austin
Car looks great man. What kind of paint did you use for the wipers?
I used rustoleum gloss black rust paint. I sanded the wiper arms down to bare metal and then sprayed them. No primer or anything was required. The paint is easy to get runs in so do very light coats and take your time. I learned this from my civic. :lol:

treeafodo

Austin
My girlfriend and I went to Importfest yesterday and she bought me this Mugen oil cap that a vendor had for sale. :) I'm just figuring out what color I want the valve cover to be, then I'll install it.