turbo build safe?

MilanoRedITR

I have a 1996 ls, completely stock. Stock head and bottom, only thing I have is an intake and catback exhaust. Car is at a good low amount of compression so I am planning to boost it from 10 to 15 psi. Nothing ridiculous

Planning to turbo my car soon when winter I over. I will have a gt35r turbo, stage 3 cc clutch, walbro fuel pump, either a 650 cc injectors or a dsm stock injectors, Hondata s300, a very good tune for the car ofcourse, And a few more things but you get the point. Car will most likely be a dd or just a highway pull car looking to push at least 250 or more. What else do I need to have the car running good as in reliability. And would this be enough for it to push 250? Should I get pistons , apr studs and etc?
Is it okay to basically boost my complete stock ls

Last edited:

Ganyon

I'd at least do harp head studs and maybe while you're in there, do the headgasket. Water pump and timing belt if they haven't been done in a while.

Nick_C78

Talk to Muckman about this, but I think 15psi is too much from that turbo for your setup. PSI depends on the turbo you use. it isn't just a generic number. And yes ARP head studs is the bare minimum hardware upgrade you should do. Look in to people who have boosted stock LS motors. There are countless builds out there. Also see how many of them have blown up. I personally wouldn't open up an LS block to do anything. They are worthless motors and very expendable.

Last edited:

zack11122

If you want to look at setups go to Evans dyno database. It will have all you need in terms of setups people have run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
1.) GT35R is a stupid big turbo for 250hp. Thats a 700hp turbo. Why did you choose this turbo?
2.) Is it a real Garrett or Chinese knock off?
3.) 10-15psi from a GT35R is 400 - 450hp territory on a B18. You overshot your LZ by a couple of klicks.
4.) DSM injectors are fine for 250hp but are 25 years old.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Woah... You might want to look at a gt25xx for that motor and power goal. It would run/drive a lot better

MilanoRedITR

My bad I forgot to say that the gt35r is going to be in my gsr with 1000cc injectors during summer. And it is a real ball bearing gt35. I actually just have a little t3 t4 turbo to play around with during spring.

But as of now, just a little more power to play around and be safe, I'll get dsm injectors and arp studs. And yes I am going to get new gaskets as well as new timing belt and water pump. I'll look into gt25 turbo as well . Thanks for the info. I'm just looking to make this b18b1 fun to drive and safe to run

Last edited:

jbrown97ls

Why not just build it for your larger power goal the first time? Skip dicking around with it in the spring and just save up for better parts. I wouldn't suggest dsm injectors. Like Muckman said, they're practically ancient technology. Five-O Motorsport has EV14 injectors for a good price.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Again, why DSM injectors? There are so many options that are better out there.

You have not given us a budget, that should be the first thing out of your mouth when asking for advice on things of this sort.

jbrown97ls

If he's dead set on using that turbo, he better be ready for a hefty budget if he wants to do it correctly, haha

MilanoRedITR

Budget doesn't really matter. Although most of it is going to the gsr. Lets just say the most ill put into the LS is $6000. Just chose to do dsm because I've seen many people have or post with their ls.
Why am I setting the gsr aside? Just giving it time to bring it in, not going to rush it asap.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Great, dont rush it. Save up and buy quality parts. Skip the DSM injectors and go with a modern Bosch EV14 injector from Injector Dynamics, FiveO or Fuel Injector Clinic - at least 1000cc. And you'll probably want a bigger fuel pump than just the 255. What turbo manifold are you going with?