turbocharged vs supercharged?

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
im kinda curious which would be better for my car. a turbocharger (ignoring that i already have a new header) or supercharger? would both require me to rebuild parts of my engine? what would need to be rebuilt or changed for each? and how much effects would they have on gas mileage? umm... i cant think of anything else to compare them at the moment so feel free to add in things

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Superchargers

Supercharger depends on if you get a centrifugal or a roots type blower.

Centrifugal uses the compressor side of the turbo, and on our cars have a shaft going to the blower.

The Vortech LS V-5 SQ CCW rotation G-Trim supercharger, will increase horsepower from 140 to 201 and torque from 124 lb./ft. to 158 lb./ft. at 7 psig

Roots use two counter-rotating meshed lobed rotors. The two rotors trap air in the gaps between rotors and push it against the compressor housing as they rotate towards the outlet/discharge port. During each rotation, a specific fixed amount of air is trapped and moved to the outlet port where it is compressed.

The Jackson racing will increase horsepower from 129 to 161, and torque from 117 ft./lbs to 139 ft./lbs

I'll look into the other stuff later. Some of these numbers sound a little off, but I got them straight from the sites :what:

Last edited:

MoJoJoJo

Banned
i dont kno all the exact and complete details of F/I but i just kno the basic and the some pro's and cons

turbo = more power, can run on stock internals, but not at high psi. more risky than supercharger, plus u get the sexy BOV sound

supercharger=not as much power as turbo, can run on stock internals, safer than turbo.

turbo requires more maintance and tuning, turbo timers etc...mostly electrical parts

so i say go to turbo, thats my vote =)

CHILD

all day all JDM
also a supercharger you have instant power
you step on the gas, you're going (if you have traction)

with a turbocharger....you have to deal with turbo lag
you step on the gas, slowly reach full boost and then you're gone!

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
yeah thats one of the things... i like the fact of having instant power... but that BOV... gotta love the sound. it just screams "dont f*ck with me!" lol. supercharger i guess would be a little more sneaky though.

what about cost-wise? i know for each of them on their own the turbo is usually cheaper if i remember correctly. but what about all the rest of the stuff needed to go along with it? and having it installed (im not sure if its something that should be attempted in my driveway)

keep the facts and opinions coming. you guys are helping out a lot. im gonna need to think this out real good because... well mostly because i dont have a choice and im broke. but its eventually gonna get done and i wanna plan ahead

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
You can get a BOV with the Vortech supercharger. I would recommend the turbo. Just cause of the fact it makes power without losing some, unlike the supercharger.

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
i personally had this same problem....decided to go with a supercharger, jackson racing....it keeps engine temps down, and is a little cheaper. There is still tuneing involved and you have the potential for boost upgrading. The main reason is this is my everyday driver, and i want to keep stress off the engine and choose to use boost. Just because you have the power does not mean you have to use it. I can stay out of boos, while turbo you cannot, boost kicks in at a certain rpm. Plus i have stock valves not stainless. and i reallywanted to keep temps down. Higher temps+ less timing= less power

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
You dont have to use the boost all the time with a turbo. It will spool, but the turbo lag is the car before it hits full boost. If you kept her around 3000 rpm (depending on the trim) you wouldnt get bad gas mileage.

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
Ominous G2 said:
You can get a BOV with the Vortech supercharger.
really? is it used for the same reason and same effect as a turbo?

i dont know this is a tough call for me. i wanna go with something reliable and something that doesnt put a lot of stress on my car because if something were to happen to my car id be pretty screwed. its my daily driver... and only car for that matter.

but on the other hand id like to get as much power as i can manage.

what would you recomend doing to the engine before getting either one of the two?

and which one would be easier to put on over a weekend in the driveway. because i know a lot of the kits say they come with very detailed directions making it seem like its very do-able to set up without taking it to a garage. would they just need to be taken in to be tuned afterwards then?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
If you want that much power go turbo. But build the bottom up so you dont blow your engine to hell.

The supercharger would only take a couple hours to put in. But you dont have the power potential as the turbo.

CHILD

all day all JDM
teg9five said:
really? is it used for the same reason and same effect as a turbo?

i dont know this is a tough call for me. i wanna go with something reliable and something that doesnt put a lot of stress on my car because if something were to happen to my car id be pretty screwed. its my daily driver... and only car for that matter.

but on the other hand id like to get as much power as i can manage.

what would you recomend doing to the engine before getting either one of the two?

and which one would be easier to put on over a weekend in the driveway. because i know a lot of the kits say they come with very detailed directions making it seem like its very do-able to set up without taking it to a garage. would they just need to be taken in to be tuned afterwards then?
from your questions it seems as though a GReddy bolt on turbo kit would be your best bet. It doesn't come with an intercooler, but stock internals and equal boost levels (against a supercharger) it makes more HP. Plus the Greddy kit is designed to work with your stock engine @ 5-8 psi. It also comes with the EMS (engine management system) so you dont need it to be tuned.

If you were to build your engine first......forged internals is the way to go. Low compression pistons, forged con rods, and crankshaft make for a strong nearly worry free bottom end. For the top end use camshafts with a high lift, short duration, and little to no overlap. forged dual titanium valve springs, retainers, and valves. Then you can post up your insane dyno sheet and a nice vid for us :)

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
CHILD said:
Then you can post up your insane dyno sheet and a nice vid for us :)
as long as this site is still up and you guys are all here in like a year or two then ill do that lol. its gonna take me a while to save the money. plus i owe 2k on the car yet :( but im taking care of that.

so if i were to turbo my car without building the engine would i still be able to build the engine later down the road and turn up the boost?

but anyways im looking on greddy.com and i dont see any turbos for my car. they are all 96 and up and i have a 95. will that matter? because i thought they were the same engines. or is it just because the ecu is different (i think)?

are there any other turbos that i can put on my teg like the greddy? or one thats even close? and on something like a turbo would you buy it new or do you think it would be safe to find one off ebay for a cheaper price?

CHILD

all day all JDM
teg9five said:
as long as this site is still up and you guys are all here in like a year or two then ill do that lol. its gonna take me a while to save the money. plus i owe 2k on the car yet :( but im taking care of that.

so if i were to turbo my car without building the engine would i still be able to build the engine later down the road and turn up the boost?

but anyways im looking on greddy.com and i dont see any turbos for my car. they are all 96 and up and i have a 95. will that matter? because i thought they were the same engines. or is it just because the ecu is different (i think)?

are there any other turbos that i can put on my teg like the greddy? or one thats even close? and on something like a turbo would you buy it new or do you think it would be safe to find one off ebay for a cheaper price?
if you go turbo for now......you can rebuild the engine later. thats what most people do because they can't stand to wait. Also, the Greddy kit does have different ECu settings but it can be ran safely with the 94 and 95 RS/LS/GS tegs. Drag generation 3 makes bolt on kits that are really good for starters and they come with an intercooler as well.....so you can look into them also