Unhealthy teggy, please help. (pictures)

BugJuice

Sooo i was driving back home from after dinner last night. Got stopped by a light. When i went to pulled away from the light. The car struggled to pull froward. My engine sounded like a "Subaru" it had a deep purr and had no power.

Car drove better in mid rpm range

I pulled over immediately and popped my hood. I thought i blew a head gasket or something. Could really see much since it was night. I saw fluid shot up everywhere and it was really hot. Since it was dark i drove it slowly to my dads to take a look at it.

My temp gauge went full to the right as i was driving and the check engine light came on. I was almost to my dads house (probably was a 2 mile drive).....:evil:

I made it and Popped my hood. Let it cool off. Put my hose and had water shooting into the radiator and found a hose to be torn and had water shooting out. It wasn't a radiator hose. It some hose connecting to the intake manifold.

There was no stores open since it was about 10:30 and i went a "rigged it" i cut my dads air compressor hose. and fitted it on. It seemed to work. Running just a tad hotter than normal. Took i around the block. The car had power again and wasn't making weird sounds and loud purrs.

The yellow hose is the air compressor hose i fitted on there.

So i decided to baby it back home. Cars temp wasn't rising, and made it home. Check engine light is still on.
I also made it to work today, where i am posting this.

BugJuice

Usually the Subaru sound is a misfire but it sounds like you have something else going on.
right, it had all the symptoms of a misfire. Car takes off slow then picked up. But after i did what i did it ran fine.

This is what i think happened...
I was driving. The hose tore. Overheated without me knowing or paying attention to it. Car started to act up because it was overheated....?

idk...grrr

I am hoping that i didn't overheat in enough to blow a head gasket or do head damage. I checked my oil and it was not foamy. So i don't think any water got in oil.

Last edited:

BankiBoi

Pull the codes. Check your lower radiator hose that hoses your thermostat to see if its getting hot

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

BugJuice

Check for leaks, you may have nicked another line when you replaced that, and fill up the radiator with coolant and see if that helps.
after it ran full hot it chugged like a misfire. i babied it to my dads. but after i replaced the line and filled it full of fluid it ran fine. The previous owner had a fuel line on their. So i replaced it with a pcv line. It runs fine now but the check engine light is still on.

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
My guess is it just overheated for too long.
That is a coolant hose used to warm up the TB in winters so the butterfly doent freeze up.
I rerouted it so it wont go thru my TB. Cheap mod to decrease a BIT of intake air temp

BugJuice

My guess is it just overheated for too long.
That is a coolant hose used to warm up the TB in winters so the butterfly doent freeze up.
I rerouted it so it wont go thru my TB. Cheap mod to decrease a BIT of intake air temp
i just wondering if i did any damage buy making it run so hot and it made it misfire and what i think to misfire....

do you have any pics of how yours is set up?

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
If it runs fine now u are probably ok. Ive overheated mine twice by mistake. Runs perfectly fine.

I dont. Pretty much just looped it. Disconnected that line put a union (hardware store) and connected it to the other hose connected to the throttle body. (2 hoses connect to it,inlet and outlet)
Then just capped of the TB holes.
And done.

BugJuice

If it runs fine now u are probably ok. Ive overheated mine twice by mistake. Runs perfectly fine.

I dont. Pretty much just looped it. Disconnected that line put a union (hardware store) and connected it to the other hose connected to the throttle body. (2 hoses connect to it,inlet and outlet)
Then just capped of the TB holes.
And done.
did your car misfire or make weird sounds when u overheated?

Anthony90

TeamXXXracing
The second time i had smoke coming out of the hood and it did hesitate as i pressed the gas. Just coasted it to a parking spot

BugJuice

well i disconnected the battery to reset the check engine and it hasent popped on. I drove it around the block for 10 minutes and the cars tempature dosent seem to rise.