Water in trunk and all over carpet floor + rear seats!

Smartin

Damn , it's been raining cats and dogs out here in LA . So today I go check up on m car & since I don't have carpets I saw that the carpet floor was extremely wet . So much so that it almost makes small puddles . WTF ? Then I noticed the rear seats were wet too ! More weight pressed upon the floor or seats , more water comes out . I go check up on the trunk & I have like a big puddle of water . Maybe 2 inches high . I know it's due to the rain because it was all dry before . & I can't diagnose the problem . So can someone help . 95 Rs . Thanks guys .

j13

Keep It Clean
your taillight gaskets are toast. they dry up and crack and end up leaking. drill holes on the bottom of your tails. i had the leak when i got the car...did the mod...my car has been sitting in the LA rain also, bone dry

j13

Keep It Clean
if you do not like the drilling methed...you can get the gaskets. ive been told they are $25 each.

hondahead505

Im also have the same problem but i live in albuquerque and got a very bad snow storm last week and like smartin said everything was soak and wet. i have a db7.

Smartin

Good looking out J13 . Shit had me pissed off man . Aha .

Just don't get how the water ended up at the seats & floor ?

j13

Keep It Clean
@j13 are u talking about the black gasket in between the car and tail light itself?
Yep, those are the ones. Acura should have made them out of silicone... i guess they are meant to dry out and have people buy them from Honda for a rip off price. :roll::)
Good looking out J13 . Shit had me pissed off man . Aha .

Just don't get how the water ended up at the seats & floor ?
the area where the spare sits, gets flooded to the point it over flows onto the seats....the seats soak it up like a sponge. also if you drive the car while you have the pool in the back..ones you brake at a stop sign, that pool will rush forward making things worse:x:x:???:

my car had a bad musty mole smell. i gutted the WHOLE interior and cleaned it by hand. took one week, WELL worth the work bro

j13

Keep It Clean
wait...your front seats are wet also?? if so, that might be a leaky moon roof.

JGvtec

Also could be your windshield too. The seal might be cracking. I would check all your seals too. Extra moisture in the car.

Smartin

Aw I might have to gut out the interior after the rain | :

& nah the front seats are koo ! Just rear seats & all carpet floor just went to go check up o it & floor is drenched !! / :<

as far as checking the seals , it'll be difficult to find cracks while it's raining . But I shall check after it finishes !

mirrorimg

My rear seats would get wet because of the water splashing forward from the spare tire compartment.

Smartin

As far drilling the holes . Where exactly should I drill them ? I don't wanna drill a whole & i end up drilling the tank . Lol .

Pictures would help ( :

dc4_000147

I replaced the gaskets on my car and it still leaks a little. My taillights have started to separate and now extend further out than the trunk. The only way to eliminate this problem is to drill the bottom of the taillight on the backside, you would need to drill the hole as low as possible to prevent the water from accumulating and seeping into the trunk area. I have not drilled my taillights, I will be buying some newer oem taillights, I will have to make sure that they are not separated.If i cant find a good set ,I will order new OEM. It gets old, bailing water when it rains more than 2" in a day.

Last edited:

#172CR

Like most of you guys, I had this problem in my 96 LS. I just got the car a few weeks back, I knew of the water problem so I tried some of the "quick" fixes first. I had water in the trunk. rear seats were soaked, and the head liner had water pooling above it....

Made sure the moon roof tubes were intact and in the right places...check

Checked the tail light gaskets? Not too bad, but still replaced them with higher quality material from Home Depot and they seal tight...check.

Cleaned the pine needles in the hatch thinking the water in the headliner was from that...check.

Ok fast forward two weeks into torrential Oregon downpours and more water.

I gutted the entire rear interior

And found some pooling water;

So with the interior out, I hooked the hose up and let it wash over the car while I sat inside with a flashlight...I immediately had droplets dripping on my head...
#1) The rear windshield sprayer seal was leaking...so that came off and is sealed (don't use it anyway)

#2) This was the big one where the majority of water was coming from.
Below the tail lights there is a hole below the wire harness and in this case, has a rubber plug in it preventing water from entering...

However on the passenger side, there is no plug and it's an open channel for water to literally FLOOD into the rear of the car

I'm looking now to find the part number and order a new plug from Acura, but I may just silicone it up too...Not sure.

How this helps someone out :)