weak headlight power

tisguy

well it's a long story but here goes :) . the original headlight, driver side had a really dim light...when you looked through the plastic it looked like there was something blocking the light. So I went with a jdm one piece =D. but the driver side headlight is still pretty dim compared to the passenger one. Now i'm guessing there's something wrong with the wiring between the harness and the power source, the problem is... what's the best way to trace to the problem? or should I just go to a mechanic and have them do the dirty work?

slikk

Money Getter
did you replace the bulb when you changed to one piece?

it could be a bad bulb

g3teg97

Super Moderator
LIke Silkk said, you might wanna replace your bulbs. Just go to discountautoparts and buy two replacement bulbs. Might be a good time to replace the fuse also. Try those.

tisguy

g3teg97 said:
LIke Silkk said, you might wanna replace your bulbs. Just go to discountautoparts and buy two replacement bulbs. Might be a good time to replace the fuse also. Try those.
it isnt the bulb. my friend's uncle (a mechanic) tried a 9003 bulb and the brightness was the same. before the 9004s on the stock headlight assembly was also about the same dimness. so we kind of concluded there's something messed up in between the wiring. i just needa find a way to trace the source...

tisguy

could upgrading the ground to 4ga resolve the problem? i've been looking and i found one post on g2ic that says it's the ground... could the passenger light be hogging up most of the power? also when I turn on headlights, i know the clock is supposed to dim, but mine like blacks out the hour number, and the minutes digits are still visible in comparison.

tisguy

I've already replaced the battery grounds and engine ground to 4ga and 8ga.. but the driver side bulb is still that bright. I really dont wanna buy a whole new wiring harness cuz it's expensive and time consuming... any ideas?

speedin

The Transporter
tisguy said:

I've already replaced the battery grounds and engine ground to 4ga and 8ga.. but the driver side bulb is still that bright. I really dont wanna buy a whole new wiring harness cuz it's expensive and time consuming... any ideas?
u have a bad ground or loose wire some where. also check the bulb/bulb plug. and make shure their is a good connection. otherwise grab a multimeter and start tracking the wires :shock:

rainstateracer

Could be a loose ground in the wire harness or possibly crossed wires somewhere, I would check with a volt meter like speedin suggested and make sure you have the proper volts running through your wires. If you don't want to do anything like that, take it to a pro or see if you have a friend who knows a little something about electicity and volts and all that crap and have him fix it for like a six pack or something.

teggyls

STREET SAMURAI
heres a lil trick take an ohm meter and leave one lead on the source and jump to all the pionts it can go when you find higher resistance then all the other places you got your problem

Shea

well now...
get one of those cans full of air, lol, used for cleaning keyboards and clean out the connection between the harness and light bulb

MoJoJoJo

Banned
HID my friend...check ur plugs..the metal piece might be coroaded and not transfer the power well...i dunno. maybe track down a wiring harness from another car at a junk yard and see if u can swap it out. but go with HID u will love it