Wetsand/Scratch Fix Kits

Boxy

So this weekend it's hopefully supposed to get sunny on Sunday and I was thinking of taking care of the ton of scratches I have on my car.

I just wanted to know if any of you guys are familiar with using the Turtle Wax or Duplicolor scratch repair kits.

They both come with 2000 grit wetsandpaper I believe and a clearcoat touch-up etc.

Here's the turtle wax: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Turtle-Wax-Premium-grade-scratch-repair-kit/_/N-25h1?counter=3&itemIdentifier=90084_0_0_

And here's the duplicolor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dupli-Color-Premium-repair-kit-includes-Scratch-Fix-2in1-filler-primer-clear-top-coat-sanding-disc-3-sanding-sheets-spot-putty-finishing-compound-and-instruction-book/_/N-25h1?counter=6&itemIdentifier=418985_0_0_

Downside is, Duplicolor is only shipped :/ no in-store pick up.

JGvtec

Half the time you don't need any touch up paint. If there is a scratch that is like deep and you can put your nail in it that normally means that it cannot be removed. Thats really the only time a touch up paint would be used.

Boxy

Half the time you don't need any touch up paint. If there is a scratch that is like deep and you can put your nail in it that normally means that it cannot be removed. Thats really the only time a touch up paint would be used.
I knew that already, I'm not that new :p I have a ton of scratches like that on my bumpers, that's why I wanna fix em up. These kits don't come with the VSM touch up, I got a bottle of that from my local dealership. Just wondering if these are worth getting, or if I should get all the stuff separately.

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
whenever I wet sand I just use some uni-grit sand paper from meguiars and the foam/rubber sanding block thing that they make (just my personal preference) and a pretty abrasive compound and a wool pad to buff them out. Works like a charm, just use some soapy water as lube and periodically check to make sure you didnt sand through too far.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Make sure to sand the scratch if it requires paint as the paint wont adhere properly if you dont and i ntime the paint will flake out. Better to just buy it all seperatley. If you really want to save money, get the dupli-color spray paint which is 6oz? Spray it into an empty nail polish bottle, and use that. Its the same price as the 0.5oz of touch paint in the little bottle. Careful when you sahe it though, it take a while for the agitation that makes the pressure rise ot go away so open slowly. Buy the sandpaper on your own and get a lot more that you can use later. Any questions, ask me! Good Luck! - Aaron

Boxy

Well you guys replied a little late! Around noon I went out and bought the kit. I finished wet sanding just now, results are on my build thread. Thanks for the replies though!

I ended up not getting a compound, the kit for whatever reason didn't require one. I used water as lube, it worked fine (I think, first time ever doing it!)
Let's hope I didn't hurt my baby.
After wet sanding, its SUPPOSED to look like the paint faded and there's blotches, right? (I haven't primered/painted/clear coated/buffed yet)