What Clutch to get....

bradster101

Ok so before you start smashing me to the ground about another clutch thread please dont lol...

Heres my question to you guys...

What clutch/clutch package (clutch, flywheel, etc...) would you recommend that I get???
1. Its needs to be good for dd
2. Needs to take a good amount of abuse (couple times a month hit the drag strip/track)
3. Just something that'll last

*I got a free stock replacement but that wasnt worth a damn, already bad and only 9k miles....

SO if you all could and post some links to what I should get or give me some advice on what to get (what you have, how you drive, reliability issues, etc...) That would be great

Thanks in advance,
Brad

bradster101

Last edited:

slammedtegc1

is more punk than you
I replaced my stock clutch and flywheel when my OE disc shattered to pieces. I installed a Competition Stage 2 clutch disc with the Competition Ultra Light Weight 9 Pound Flywheel and ARP flywheel and pressure plate hardware. I couldn't be happier with the DD clutch feel and performance. If I were to do it all over again though I would invest in a lighter flywheel. I barely notice a difference over stock with the 9 pound regularly driving. Revs and shifts are much faster if you're a spirited driver like myself.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I am biased towards Exedy products. I have used their clutches and flywheel in every manual car I've ever owned and have yet to find a complaint.

As for which ones to get, that depends on your other mods. A Stage 2 really isn't necessary for a bolt-on car. Unless you just plan on really beating the holy hell out of your clutch or modifying your car quite a bit, I would stick with a Stage 1. I would go with atleast a Stage 2 if you plan to run any boost. The stage 1 is definitely more DD friendly, but the stage 2 has higher clamping force and the cerametallic friction material is more tolerant to heat and abuse but less forgiving in stop and go traffic than the organic friction material of the 1.

I've had a Exedy Stage 2 w/ Exedy flywheel in a fairly modded RX-7, a Stage 1 w/ flywheel in a bolt-on GSR and used to have a Stage 2 w/ flywheel in my Eclipse GSX. Right now I have a twin-disc in the heavily modified Eclipse GSX and a Stage 2 w/ flywheel in fairly modded Eclipse GS-T. All Exedy products, all zero complaints or issues.

Last edited:

bradster101

I am biased towards Exedy products. I have used their clutches and flywheel in every manual car I've ever owned and have yet to find a complaint.

As for which ones to get, that depends on your other mods. A Stage 2 really isn't necessary for a bolt-on car. Unless you just plan on really beating the holy hell out of your clutch or modifying your car quite a bit, I would stick with a Stage 1. I would go with atleast a Stage 2 if you plan to run any boost. The stage 1 is definitely more DD friendly, but the stage 2 has higher clamping force and the cerametallic friction material is more tolerant to heat and abuse but less forgiving in stop and go traffic than the organic friction material of the 1.

I've had a Exedy Stage 2 w/ Exedy flywheel in a fairly modded RX-7, a Stage 1 w/ flywheel in a bolt-on GSR and used to have a Stage 2 w/ flywheel in my Eclipse GSX. Right now I have a twin-disc in the heavily modified Eclipse GSX and a Stage 2 w/ flywheel in fairly modded Eclipse GS-T. All Exedy products, all zero complaints or issues.
i think im leaning more towards stage 2.... even though i only have bolt ons, i plan on beating the holy hell out of it - i do that now but the stock one isnt worth a damn

so exeddy stage 2 clutch with what kind of flywheel??? i assume lighter is better for the way i drive???

Rich-PMS

I have the stage 3 6puck from f1 racing, with 9.5lb flywheel. I absolutely love it. I DD it, deliver pizzas, and beat the piss out of it. Comes with 12month 12k mile warrenty and was only 260 shipped to my door.

I went through gripforce.com but I placed my order on the phone and they knocked 15$ off the price :)

bradster101

I have the stage 3 6puck from f1 racing, with 9.5lb flywheel. I absolutely love it. I DD it, deliver pizzas, and beat the piss out of it. Comes with 12month 12k mile warrenty and was only 260 shipped to my door.

I went through gripforce.com but I placed my order on the phone and they knocked 15$ off the price :)
only 260 shipped? Isnt the stage 3 a little rough though?

slammedtegc1

is more punk than you
i think im leaning more towards stage 2.... even though i only have bolt ons, i plan on beating the holy hell out of it - i do that now but the stock one isnt worth a damn

so exeddy stage 2 clutch with what kind of flywheel??? i assume lighter is better for the way i drive???
I was surprised how close to stock the clutch pedal still felt with the Competition stage 2 clutch and ULW flywheel, but grabbed much harder. This is the only modification to my car and I'm a delivery driver, so I'm always driving. You'll love it.

Rich-PMS

only 260 shipped? Isnt the stage 3 a little rough though?
Yes sir 260 shipped ordered it Sunday, had it on the following Monday. 5 business days!
Tough, not at all. But it's personal opinion. Does it take a little bit to get used to, yeah. Especially after driving a clutch that is so worn out and doesn't grab hard.

bradster101

I was surprised how close to stock the clutch pedal still felt with the Competition stage 2 clutch and ULW flywheel, but grabbed much harder. This is the only modification to my car and I'm a delivery driver, so I'm always driving. You'll love it.
So a competition stage 2 clutch and an ulfw (9lbs?) is what Im going to get... Do you mind if I ask you where you ordered yours from and how much you paid?

crussell2009

98 black gsr CLEAN coupe
I got the act 6 puck and fuckin love it man, I just have my stock flywheel resurfaced for now so no help there. But the act 6 puck is fine for DD as well as can take some abuse. Kind of a pain in stop n go traffic but other than that its fine.