What Integra should I get for a turbo setup?

JDM_TypeR

What Integ should i get for a Turbo setup?

hi im planning to get an Integra (DC2) 94' or up. my price range is $5,000 max. so far, ive only found 94 or 95 LS, RS, or GS. i was planning to get a GSR but i dont think i can find a decent one for my price range. I often hear that LS's are better to turbo than GSR's because or their compression ratios, LS's being "Low Compression". so now im planning to get an LS. my question is: " what would be my best bet??" options...
LS (B18b1) w/ Turbo, LS VTEC w/ Turbo, or GSR (B18c1) w/ Turbo?? even though the LS can handle more boost, would it still be faster/ better than a GSR with 8 psi of boost and VTEC? should i get a LS or LS VTEC with the Turbo setup? is it good to have VTEC in a Turbo setup or no? please reply. thanks. im doing as much research as i can before i go out and buy the car. i have 5 G's right now in my car budget. please reply.

DownShift96GSR

I'm gonna tell you what I know. You could turbo all of them and get good results. The results that I've seen for an LS/VTEC motor have been 647 WHP (www.hondata.com). And I've seen a GSR block with ITR head turbo and it gets 600 WHP. I haven't seen numbers like this with a strait LS but I'm sure its not far behind. The thing about getting the VTEC head is because it breaths and flows a lot better than an LS. That's what I've seen..........

Chuckie Finster

Any on of them can make a lot of power; people say the LS is good for turbo 'cause it starts off with a lower compression ratio STOCK. The GSR can be lowered with a set of aftermarket internals as well, but can be boosted just like that as well also. If your budget is 5G get an LS.

Todd

token ex-mod
those numbers posted for a the c1 and and ls/vtec are also based on ALLOT more mods then just simply "boost"

an ls will be quite a bit cheaper then a gsr and with the extra money you save you can spend more on a better turbo setup. tuning will be easier on the b1 also due to the lower boost and teh lack of vtec and it will make some great numbers

Baldy201

There are obvously Pro's and Con's for both.

The LS
Pro's- Larger displacement(like 300cc's), Lower compression. Cons- poor flow though the head, weak internals.

The GSR
Pros- Better flowing head, More power for lower boost. Cons- Vtec, and higher compression.

Some of you are asking why did he say vtec as a con?
the answer is the larger cam lobes of the vtec motor produce cam overlap and that is not so good for a turbo set up. The overlap will endup pushing fresh air out the exhaust port and waste gas. If you look at the turbo cams made by crower or crane you will see that they have higher lift and small duration. the high lift alows the mixture to be pushed in at a faster pace, and the small duration prevents air to be pushed out the exhaust port.

mist3r Lin

With a $5k spending limit you're not going to be able to get a GSR and turbo it.

My recommendation is to find an LS b18b1 block and if you have money leftover to check out www.homemadeturbo.com and see how they make diy turbokits for next to nothing.

Do your homework

Nd4sped

The B18A and B18B blocks are great blocks to start from. The B18B1 block can handle 10psi on stock internals.(Please dont reply to my post about different torbos and PSI) Anyhow. I am currently in the process of building a LS?VTEC for boost my self. The LS crank is the most stable and reliable crank Honda has put out for our B series engines. It is widely used. Though if you can get a hold of a GSR engine than by all means get it and just buy a shell LS.

Baldy201

Chuckie Finster said:
Actually the LS is only larger by about 37 cc's. 1797 of GSR/ITR vs. 1834 from the LS.
oops i ment 30 not 300. I guess i should reread what i type. lol :lol:

Baldy201

look at the torque numbes between the both. they may only differ by one or two ft.lbs but from only 30cc that is a good number.