What turbo exhaust?

95teg

planing on boosting my gsr in the summer, what do you think i should do with my exhaust? should i keep my Catco highflow cat (a turbo wont burn it up will it?) or do i go with out a cat? should i get bigger pipe than my 2 1/4? and last should i invest in a different than stock o2 sensor? sorry im a n00b to this turbo business, i dont really know whats good for one and not, all opinions are help, thanks!! :)

BoostedITR41

95teg said:
planing on boosting my gsr in the summer, what do you think i should do with my exhaust? should i keep my Catco highflow cat (a turbo wont burn it up will it?) or do i go with out a cat? should i get bigger pipe than my 2 1/4? and last should i invest in a different than stock o2 sensor? sorry im a n00b to this turbo business, i dont really know whats good for one and not, all opinions are help, thanks!! :)

your cat should befine as long as you aren't excessivly rich. you are goin to want a 3" exhaust so just plan on a thermal. greddy makes a 2.75" exhaust but costs just as much as the thermal. you have to keep the stock O2's if you plan on any thing that can't turn them off(hondata can) if you want a wideband get the AEM and weld a bung for it on your downpipe. unless you have a stand alone the computer won't understand the wideband anyway. if you don't have emissions go with a test pipe for more power

Baldy201

Yea get a 3' exhaust. Please get a 3' cat also not a test pipe. There is not performance diffrence, trust me.

95teg

whats a thermal? cant i just go to the muffler shop and be like hey, give me 3in. pipe!.. also what would happen if i didnt change the exhaust and just ran my 2.25?

BoostedITR41

95teg said:
whats a thermal? cant i just go to the muffler shop and be like hey, give me 3in. pipe!.. also what would happen if i didnt change the exhaust and just ran my 2.25?

I ran a 2.25" stock ITR exhaust for a year. more back presure=less power. don't use a muffler shop special crush bent exhaust you would be better off with a 2.25" mandrel system.

as for the test pipe comment yes their is a difference and sorry but hydrocarbons created by long haul trucks are much worse than our performance cars.

BoostedITR41

95teg said:
where can u get this 'thermal' exhaust business? heh

I am pretty sure wired speed has them....you will need a shop to weld up a 3" flange on the cat if you are keeping it. this is not bolt on like most exhausts. it all lines up perfect just the flange on the 3" is 3" so there are no bottle necks

Superesc

Go to your local muffler shop and have them put on 3" piping with either Apexi / Thermal / Keller / HKS 3" inlet mufflers.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
for turbo charged cars, the less resistance in the exhaust system, the more power youll get. therefore, no exhaust is the best, a.k.a. open downpipe. but in a world without laws, that would be everyones setup.

also, if you are running low boost/ mild power increase (under 7 lbs/ under 250hp ) then a 2.5" system will be fine.

as for a test pipe or cat. it depends on if you want to be legal or not. with a high flow cat, you get pretty good flow, while still retaining emissions equipment. but a test pipe WILL flow better. probably by about 10% though, so its up to you if you care about the extra 20 or so CFM extra you can push through your exhaust. Personally, i dont think test pipes are worth it, unless its a race only car that doesnt need to meet emissions laws.

if you are wanting tons of power (300+) then i would suggest at least a 3" exhaust. and it MUST be Mandrel Bent. most aftermarket systems, if not all of them, are Mandrel bent. if you go to a muffler shop, and want something like a 3.5" or 4", then make sure they use mandrel bends.

a 4" setup would be for something in the 400+ range.

make sure your entire exhaust system, from the turbo to the tip, is all the same diameter, even the cat. this will get rid of any bottlenecks that can rob power from your boosted car.

95teg

thanks Evil for suming that up; i was totally confused on this stuff.. i honestly dont think i will boost over 7 to begin with, maybe 8 who knows? i dont have the money to rebuild the internals right now, that will prpbably come after the turbo and ill see if i like it...