What's involved in a complete turbo system?

futureboost

Pyromania
Complete Turbo System???

Ok so i've done a lot of searching and there are some places for information, but it's all bits and pieces and I think it would be good if I could get it all together. I'm looking to be getting an integra gs-r in a month or two and I am planning on turbocharging it. My questions:

I really want an integra with vtec so a gs-r would be my best bet since i dont have money for an itr, but would an integra ls be best suitable for a turbo set up? (i know there is info about this, but for some reason, it's all just split)

Can I run around 10-14 psi safely on a stock gs-r or ls motor with about 50,000 miles?

What is all needed to get a turbo system running smoothly and properly? I'm talking about the components besides the obvious like a turbo, downpipe, exaust manifold, etc...

I would say I'm quite mechanically inclined, but I want to know if some things are best left to a professional?

I guess I would just really appreciate it if someone could do a complete write up on their turbo system or point me in the right direction of one since i cant seem to find it myself.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

futureboost

Pyromania
also, if theres anyone around milwuakee wisconsin that has a boosted integra, I'd like to meet up and see it if you dont mind. thanks

PogKai

B20VTEC
well first off stock GS-R can handle like 9-10psi max. LS is you best bet for turbo.

Turbo system consists of:

- Turbine
- Turbo Manifold
- Downpipe
- all of the piping
- Fuel mangement Unit
- Blow off (optional)
- Intercooler (optional)
- Bigger Injectors
- Turbo timer
- Some gauges will be nice (boost)
- Silicone Hoses to connect the pipes
- Some Gaskets
- Clamps
- Wastegate
- Oil lines (braided)
- And the most important.. TUNING!

I think I left off something..

GSROWNSU

PogKai said:
well first off stock GS-R can handle like 9-10psi max. LS is you best bet for turbo.
not 9-10 that's really high on a stock gsr motor i wouldn't go beyond 7 psi. Anything above that you risk ruining your motor or detonation.

GSROWNSU

futureboost said:
if 10 psi isn't safe on a stock gs-r motor, whats safe on a stock ls motor with low miles? thanks
to be honest with you i would still say only around like 8 psi....anything above that w/out reinforcing the internals your motor isn't going to last long....and with any amount of boost your gonna need a good tuning.

i see your from wisconsin i am too and i do plan on boosting my gsr sometime in the future maybe in the spring. We should hook up sometime and if u need anymore questions just ask.

PogKai

B20VTEC
GSROWNSU said:
not 9-10 that's really high on a stock gsr motor i wouldn't go beyond 7 psi. Anything above that you risk ruining your motor or detonation.
depends on the size of the turbo too.. I gues you can run 9psi on a T25

PogKai

B20VTEC
btw: there's a turbo Integra Type R makin' high 200whp like 280 if I remember correctly usin stock internals!

GSROWNSU

futureboost said:
what about a straight t3 or a hybrid t3/t04 turbo?
don't go over 7.....that's what i've been hearing from everyone that the limit w/ stock internals on any engine is 7psi

PogKai

B20VTEC
GSROWNSU said:
don't go over 7.....that's what i've been hearing from everyone that the limit w/ stock internals on any engine is 7psi
7.. the lucky number hehe

I might add turbo to my car.. but na.. too much $, I need those to complete other projects

GSROWNSU

PogKai said:
7.. the lucky number hehe

I might add turbo to my car.. but na.. too much $, I need those to complete other projects
Yeah turbos are the way to go if you want big power gains for the least amount of cash. N/A is alot more expensive than going w/ a turbo when you think about it.

PogKai

B20VTEC
futureboost said:
what about if the car was tuned properly? would i be able to run more boost then?
yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.