What's the best headers I can get...

maluskeeter

I was wondering what are the best brand of headers I can get for a 99 Acura Integra LS (Auto)??...I have an exhaust on it already...I was jus wondering what most of you guys have...Also what is the best intake manifold out there??...I was planning to get v2 aem air intake, headers and intake manifold...anything else for the engine?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
There is no best header, there is only what is the best header for YOUR car and YOUR level of modifications. The intake, header, and exhaust work together as a system, not as individual parts. Before you buy any aftermarket parts for your car, you need to ask yourself...
-Am I going NA or FI?
-IF FI, how high do I want to boost (aka, how deep are my pockets?)
-If NA, how far am I going to go with my mods? Are you going to do bolt-ons (I/H/C/E) only, or are you going to build internals also in the future? (aka, how deep are my pockets?)
-If NA, where do you want your powerband to be? Becaue all parts must work TOGETHER towards the same goal, or you'll end up getting nowhere with all the money you've spent.

Tell us the answers to these questions and we can help you from there.
Anyone can just spit out a brand name and say "They're the shizzle, yo", but they couldn't begin to tell you why they think that brand is what you need when they don't know what your goals for your car are.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
NA means Naturally Aspirated, which means increasing HP output by improving on an engines inherent HP creating abilities. Flowing a larger amount of air through the engine via larger intake, throttle body and IM diameter, larger cams and a larger diameter header and exhaust system. Just to scratch the surface...
FI means Forced Induction, which means either a Supercharger or a Turbo is force feeding air through the engine.
And once again, brand isn't as important as the legnth and diameter of the secondaries (secondaries are the 4 pipes coming out of the flange that bolts to the head), and the diameter of the collector (collector is the hole at the end of a header). All of these factors will determine where the header's maximum volumetric efficiency is along the RPM range, which will determine where its powerband is located. Different header companies all make different headers, no two are exactly alike. Now, legnth and diameter of the secondaries is hard information to find, namely because the companies know that 99% of the people on the market for a header don't care about those numbers because they are uneducated as to why it should matter. The companies think we're dumb! and unfortunatley, most of us are when it comes to this stuff. But one dimension of headers that is fairly easy to find out is collector size, which is very important.
If your going NA and doing bolt-ons only, a 2-2.25 inch collector is ideal. You'll maintain good low end and get good gains in the upper rpm's. If you plan on building up the internals of your engine, you will want to plan ahead and get a header with a 2.5 inch collector. However if you do, you will eventually want to have an exhaust system that is also 2.5 inches in diameter. Stepping down in diameter size as you move back in the exhaust system is bad, maintaining the same diameter throughout or stepping up is what you want to do. Just one example of why you need to have a plan for your car...
Don't get me wrong, brand has its importance, because the saying "you get what you pay for" rings true here as it does for all things in life. I just want you to understand how headers work and to make an educated decision based on what you need and not on advertising hype or what someone "says" or "heard" is good just because they say it is. Maybe whats good for them and their engine package won't be good for you and your planned package.
If you have more questions please ask... :)

maluskeeter

im definitely going NA...so im still jus wondering what the top brands are out there...like what do you guys have??...what else can i get for my engine??

latindc2

maluskeeter said:
im definitely going NA...so im still jus wondering what the top brands are out there...like what do you guys have??...what else can i get for my engine??
Top brands like Mugen, Spoon, Hytech...but very pricery building an NA motor is quite pricey but not worth it on your auto...IMO.