White Smoke...sometimes???

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
gotta a problem with the teg that i bought a couple of weeks ago and im stumped so i was wondering if anyone could help me. First off, my car started to blow alot of white smoke while idling (smells really bad), first thing i thought was the head gasket was toast, so i check other signs for a bad headgasket such as milky oil/coolant and over heating. my oil and coolant was fine and my car doesnt overheat. so maybe it wasnt the head gasket?? i dont wanna change the hd if it wasnt the problem.. I changed the oil anyways (not milky) and it was running much better, no white smoke at all. I let it idle for a little while, hit the throttle a couple of times and no white smoke. then i took it for a test drive and it started smoking again WTF. Now everytime i hit the throttle it starts to smoke alot like a rock concert. lol. so i turned it off and let it sit, while i went to the autoparts store to turn in the old oil. then i come back and turn on my car and it runs fine, no white smoke or anything. I stepped on the throttle and no white smoke comes out, but black smoke comes out and alot of water sprays out of my exhaust. Im so confused on what it is. >.< so what do you guys think?

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
thats what im thinking too, but i want to be absolutely sure before i pull it apart to replace the head gasket/ look for cracks.

xX6IXXx

Are you sure its white smoke and not just light blue? White is always going to be coolant...always. If its light or dark blue its oil.
White-Head gasket is probably cracked and will get worse the longer you leave it.
Blue-Could be carbon in your valves or a piston ring going bad.
The black smoke you mentioned is fuel which again can point to valves or even rings.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
okay thanks for the advice. im gonna see if it starts smoking again and if it still does, ima have to pull it apart. i just dont wanna do that if its some easy cheap fix, ya know?

95ls-gsr swap

my car was doing it, same symptoms, no coolant in oil or vice versa, but now it blows coolant every time it runs... im gonna get the hg done that would be my best guess.... i also heard its possible to have a cracked sleeve but i wouldnt think so if urs isnt overheating....

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
yeah thanks for the advice guys. im gonna replace the headgasket and see if that fixes it. hopefully my head isnt warped or have anythings that is cracked. will keep you guys updated.

gugiey

Are you sure its white smoke and not just light blue? White is always going to be coolant...always. If its light or dark blue its oil.
White-Head gasket is probably cracked and will get worse the longer you leave it.
Blue-Could be carbon in your valves or a piston ring going bad.
The black smoke you mentioned is fuel which again can point to valves or even rings.
sorry to sound rude but your not 100% correct.

white smoke is not always a head gasket/coolant burning.

it can also be non burnt fuel .

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
well im in the process of taking my head off the car to check the gasket. i am really restricted on time. i can only work on my car for about an hour a day :/ its gonna take a while.

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
i spent freaking 6 hours trying to remove my crankshaft bolt. i broke 2 extensions and 2 adapters.. mothersucker was tough to get out. :mad: but i got it done. tomorrow the head is coming off and im gonna inspect the headgasket to see if that is the issue to my problem. also, while my head is off, is there anything that i should replace/upgrade? anything to increase hp?

BankiBoi

Takes me hour to remove the head.

You should've uses a impact gun. You can go with arp head studs and a higher compression gasket but you wont get HP without cams, intake or exhaust upgrade

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

Last edited:

LoweredDC4

Jimmy
UPDATE! well i got the head off today and i found little traces of coolant on the top of my pistons (pistons 1 and 2)and also there was coolant where my head bolts are except for like three places o_O idk if there is suppose to be coolant there. when i looked at my gasket, it looked okay, looked kinda warped though. i hope replacing the gasket fixes my problem. Also there was alot of build up on my pistons and valves. anybody know how to get that shiz off? its so dirty looking >.<

BankiBoi

You might want to get that head checked for warp and get all the coolant out the holes. Torque in sequence once you get it back on.

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk