b16 or b18?

buy the cheaper b16 or get the gsr?

• Total voters

k624ash

Im looking to get a new motor soon and i was gonna go for a gsr, but now im looking at the b16 because it looks like they cost about a thousand less. Saving a thousand would put me on the right track for turbo, while with the gsr i wouldnt have enough money for a while. Ive also read that the b16 can have an advatage over the gsr because it has less torque, it makes it easier to grip the road, you dont waste time spinning your wheels.

So now im not sure if i should go for the b16 and save some money, or spring for the gsr.
and i just bought a b16 trans, so that is what it will be mated with.

GA-Beast

Owner
k624ash said:
Im looking to get a new motor soon and i was gonna go for a gsr, but now im looking at the b16 because it looks like they cost about a thousand less. Saving a thousand would put me on the right track for turbo, while with the gsr i wouldnt have enough money for a while. Ive also read that the b16 can have an advatage over the gsr because it has less torque, it makes it easier to grip the road, you dont waste time spinning your wheels.

So now im not sure if i should go for the b16 and save some money, or spring for the gsr.
and i just bought a b16 trans, so that is what it will be mated with.

this is true...but spinning out does is fun sometimes:lol:

Sirfallsalot243

Less torque does not mean better traction. Less torque means less traction. B16's suck in any vehicle over 2400lbs. It simply doesnt have adequet torque to properly move the vehicle. A B18B w/ B16 tranny will take a B16 swap in any car, anyday. The B18C1 is a far superior motor, and you would be foolish to buy the B16 because it "only has 10 less horsepower." The B16 doesnt even make 100wtq! A stock B18C1 makes about 115-118, which may not seem like a big difference, but thats 18%. It is a big difference. Youll be happier with the B18C1, even if it takes you longer to get that turbo. Besides- you can get a B18C1 for cheap if you search around. You can find a complete B18C1 longblock for about $1300. And the transmissions only run $450-600. Thats $1900 to put it in your car. Id advise a new clutch, since you will be going turbo, but you can always do that later. Your call.

I paid $800 for my engine, and $600 for my trans. $1400 total. Then I built it. :lol:

k624ash

if i can find a cheaper gsr motor ill definitly get that. Ive been sending out emails to websites and ill start making calls soon. but if i cant, the question is, is a gsr motor $1000 better than a b16?

B18TEG

BLACK DA
well your probably getting quotes for a b16a or something, because the b16b's are much more expensive, and the difference between a b16 and a b18c is quite noticeable. id go with the c1 personally, because the gsr and type-r motors have the exact same rotating assemblies, only difference lies in the head and the pistons.

k624ash

isnt the b16b the ctr motor? cause if so, thats not the one im looking at, that one is overpriced.

it looks like my budget is gonna be $2,500. But that includes any miscelaneous items i might need, and i dont have to spend the full $2,500. going under budget is always nice, if im under enough maybe i could start peicing a turbo kit toghether.

does anyone know a good place to go to get a motor on the east coast? im in penslyvania, right outside philly

Sirfallsalot243

Im right outside philly too. There is a JDM importer based out of philly, and one out of north jersey. You should be able to find them with google. I find that all the best deals are from private parties though, like Honda-Tech. And whatever you THINK something is going to cost, plan on spending double that much. Because there are always problems.

k624ash

Sirfallsalot243 said:
Im right outside philly too. There is a JDM importer based out of philly, and one out of north jersey. You should be able to find them with google. I find that all the best deals are from private parties though, like Honda-Tech. And whatever you THINK something is going to cost, plan on spending double that much. Because there are always problems.
i just called the place in philly, they said $3000 for gsr swap and that they wont seperate the trans from the motor
im wainting to hear back from the north jersey place (if its the same one)

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Just go with a B18... Don't worry about spinning your wheels. A lilttle burnout here and there won't hurt. Plus, it's not like B18s have a large about of torque anyway.

B18 > B16