b16 or b18?

buy the cheaper b16 or get the gsr?

• Total voters

k624ash

so everyone thinks the gsr is worth the extra cash? sounds good to me
btw i have a b16 trans ready to go, so thats what is hookin up the gsr motor i will get, if i can find one at a good price.
i guess i can always have hmotors ship me one

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
k624ash said:
so everyone thinks the gsr is worth the extra cash? sounds good to me
btw i have a b16 trans ready to go, so thats what is hookin up the gsr motor i will get, if i can find one at a good price.
i guess i can always have hmotors ship me one
I don't know man, I'd save up extra money and get a C5. That's just me though. It's up to you. Hmotors is a very trustworthy place to get motors. :thumbs up

Sirfallsalot243

JDMxDB8 said:
I don't know man, I'd save up extra money and get a C5. That's just me though. It's up to you. Hmotors is a very trustworthy place to get motors. :thumbs up
B18C1 avg price- $2500.
B18C5 avg price- $4400.

Thats a $1900 difference. Thats a turbo kit. For what? Higher compression, some porting, and some cams. Not a great way to spend an extra $1900 if you asked me.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
You can't say "I want the B16 cause it makes less torque so I can get traction" then talk about boosting it. lol, You boost it and you'll still be fighting for traction.

B18 any day, all day. End of story

iNOhc

Super Registered User
well i wouldn't buy the b18c1.. only cuhz i already have it.. buh i want the b16 head on my b18!

k624ash

Kuchtaboy said:
You can't say "I want the B16 cause it makes less torque so I can get traction" then talk about boosting it. lol, You boost it and you'll still be fighting for traction.

B18 any day, all day. End of story
no no, thats why it is said. because if you are turboing it than the smaller displacement would be made up for in boost.
im gonna go with the gsr though, i was pretty much set on that all ready i just wanted to see if anyone found any merit in the argument for the b16.
the local place i found has the gsr for 2000, in that case i mine as well go for the hmotors one since with shipping they are almost the same price.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I'm sure this has already been said but I don't feel like reading everyone's posts, but the B16/17 heads flow better than the B18 head. Thats the only thing I'd take off a B16 to use. Milk all you can out of that s.o.b.! lol

I know its a muscle head quote, but it applies everywhere.
"no replacement for displacement"

thats why some people grab the B20 blocks. the more displacement you have, the more available power you have. Just a note to remember

Sirfallsalot243

You guys are missing the important thing about the B16 head. Just because it flows better DOES NOT mean that you will make more power with it. Slapping a B16 head on a GSR block wont do anything except move your powerband up, because the B16 has a single stage intake manifold. While the B16 does flow better, it also has a larger combustion chamber, resulting in less compression. This loss in compression (when compared to a B18C1 head) makes up for the difference in porting. The two heads make the same exact power. The only way to benefit on the better flow of the B16 head is to use higher compression pistons, or milling the head (which then cuts down on the adjustability of the cam gears)

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
:werd: Unless you got a little ass civic, or old G1 b16s are worthless imo, no torque sucks, anybody that wants a car that performs on the street wants torque weather they think so or not. B18 all the way, and then bore the damn thing out to 87mm and boost the shit out of it. But b16s do not belong in tegs. Unless you can find a b17 the go with the bigger motor.

Sirfallsalot243

Aussie said:
:werd: Unless you got a little ass civic, or old G1 b16s are worthless imo, no torque sucks, anybody that wants a car that performs on the street wants torque weather they think so or not. B18 all the way, and then bore the damn thing out to 87mm and boost the shit out of it. But b16s do not belong in tegs. Unless you can find a b17 the go with the bigger motor.
:lol:

Boring it out to 87mm would create an engine with a ~10k mile lifespan. Even if it were sleeved, the paper thin sleeves would crack under NATURALLY ASPIRATED use, much less boosted! 84mm is about as large as I'd recommend for a boosted B.

iNOhc

Super Registered User
man i've learn so much from joining club integra.. god this is DOPE!!!!.. muahahah!..

buh one question.. why is the gsr block with a b16 head called a "poor mans type r"?..

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
The B16 head and they type R head are the same, the type R just uses the b18 block instead of a b16 block. (I think, someone confirm for me)

k624ash

Kuchtaboy said:
The B16 head and they type R head are the same, the type R just uses the b18 block instead of a b16 block. (I think, someone confirm for me)
the type r does use the same head and block, the internals are differnt though. Its the casting that is the same

iNOhc

Super Registered User
so if what you're saying is confirmed.. that mean's i'd have a type r motor by swaping the head of my GSR with an 2000 Si b16?